Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Review - The Rascals: Once Upon a Dream

Purely by chance, I got two comps to last night's performance of The Rascals: Once Upon a Dream.  I had heard nearly nothing about this show - I saw the marquee and didn't really think anything of it.  It said Fifteen Performances Only, so it slipped my mind.  The name The Rascals meant nothing to me (sorry!), but hey, free tickets are never to be sneezed at.  Free tickets in the fifth row center are great, (almost) regardless of the show!  And, I have to say, after last night, I'm now a big fan of The Rascals!
 
Apparently, Steven Van Zandt, of the E Street Band (who I HAVE heard of, thank you very much) grew up a huge fan of The Rascals and it has been his dream to reunite them.  It took this hybrid concert/Broadway show concept to get them together, or so I've read.  The show features projections by Marc Brickman, who has worked with Pink Floyd in the past.  Not only were there psychadelic projections, but there was also archival footage of the band, video testimonies from the band members about their story, and re-enactments by actors portraying the band in their youth.  It was an interesting mix, though, to be honest, sometimes the video segments just got in the way of the best part of the concert - the live performances by the original band.  Steven Van Zandt did the pre-show announcement, telling us to leave our phones ON, to take pictures, video, post on Facebook or Twitter, and to do 'whatever the f*ck we wanted.'  Well, OK THEN!  You don't have to tell me twice to take photos during a show!  Enjoy some of the shots I got throughout. 
 
My handsome friend and I were clearly the youngest people in the room.  We were surrounded by baby boomers who were SO excited to see The Rascals again!  The gal to my right told me, "The last time I saw them, 40 years ago, I was so stoned, I don't remember the concert!  I can't believe I get to see them again!"  She was a VERY enthusiastic audience member and was, I believe, the first person to rock out on her feet, her cane be damned.  If she had been in the front row, her panties would've been thrown, I just know it.  This photo was taken by my handsome friend - his perspective was much better (he also got the "Good Lovin'" photo further down the page). 
 
It does not matter in the least that these guys are in their late 60s/early 70s.  They were ROCKING!  The Rascals had a lot of hit songs in the 1960s - "Good Lovin'," "Groovin'," "People Everywhere Just Got To Be Free," "Beautiful Mornin'," and, the very haunting "How Can I Be Sure," which I have now downloaded from iTunes.  I knew a lot of the songs, but didn't know they were by The Rascals.  It was interesting to hear their story, in their own words, and it was fun to see how jazzed they were in concert.  Guitarist Gene Cornish was flirting with all the ladies and throwing guitar picks into the crowd; Felix Cavaliere was on keyboards and did most of the main vocals - he sounded powerful and passionate throughout; Dino Danelli was on drums and was so focused and fierce (though, he looked strangely like someone who just took off their drag persona and sat down at the drums); and vocalist/tambourine master Eddie Briagti was out front and prancing as fast as his feet would take him.  There were also three excellent backup singers and couple of extra musicians.  Fifth row center may have been a tad close for my tastes, though the sound was mixed very well, but it was great to see their interactions with the crowd.
 
The show is two hours of rock and roll, no intermission, and the audience was going crazy throughout.  The theater was packed - I told my handsome friend that this is the way I behave at a Barry Manilow concert, but not really.  I'm a tad more sedate than these people.  But not much.  I guess when you love a band, you LOVE A BAND!  Gals were screaming "We love you, Eddie!" and he was eating it up.  There were a couple of spontaneous standing ovations throughout the show (the uber-fan on my right started at least one of them).  I've read that The Rascals now plan to do a tour of this show around the country - if it comes to your area, go see it!  It's a lot of fun!  I wish I had been more aware of it before it opened - it closes this Sunday, so there aren't many more chances to catch them in the beautiful Richard Rodgers Theater.  I took a ton of photos, so I'll put more at the bottom.  I also got one sound clip, so I'll try to attach it as well.  Fingers crossed I can make it work [updated update, I think the soundclip WORKS!  woo hoo!]
 






 
 

 

3 comments:

  1. Verra nice blog/review of this iconic band's reemergence on stage, Tari! It's great that you've become a fan of the Rascals---I've been there since the first go-around (in the 60's)... I think I'm the Florida (formerly of NY) version of your new friend. They recently started their tour with three nights at the Hard Rock Live in Hollywood, Florida and my daughter gave me a pre-birthday present ticket for the first show--long and strange story short, I wound up having it exchanged for a front row seat! Too freakin' yabba-dabba-doo groovy! LOL Seeing them ALL together again left me speechless (yeah, right)....On the way home I decided that I couldn't live with myself if I didn't see them again. So Saturday I went in hope of finding a ticket-- and was delighted to help a fella out, whose date had bailed and was stuck holding an extra ticket! Our seats were on the second level, right near the stage-- so I was able to video the whole of the band, as opposed to when you are down front and can only fit in one or two band members... Again as I drove home I started thinking, 'there is only one more night...and it HAD been over 40 years since I had rocked to these boys'...So Sunday I got dressed up again and drove back to the Hard Rock--unfortunately for me, I had a senior moment-- and believed the show started at 8 (like the previous two nights) when in fact it was supposed to start at 7 (7:15 actual). So I got there too late to find scalpers or people with extra tickets AND the box office closed just as I walked inside. Ever the optimist I hung in and hung out until an angel in disguise concierge found me a ticket--and it was (again) IN THE FRONT ROW! I was parked directly in front of Gene and Felix, the other side of where I had been the first night (Eddie's side). I loved the shows. I loved the Rascals. I LOVE the Rascals. And I wish I could afford to follow them around on tour. Yes, the show is that good...
    The Sunny One

    ReplyDelete
  2. ps..I forgot to compliment your photos! You've gotten some great shots!

    I put a few videos on youtube-- this one makes me laugh because I wanted to dance so much that I just pointed the camera at the stage until a stranger helped me out. LOL Great memories!

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6frPq0pG-pU

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sunny Beth! So nice to hear from a longtime fan of The Rascals. And what great stories you have from your weekend! Thanks for sending the video - it's fun! Best, -MissTari

      Delete