Thursday, May 30, 2013

Thoughts on 3 Kinds of Exile

I believe I've mentioned in the past that I love the writing of John Guare.  I'm not sure that I've mentioned how fond I am of John Guare himself.  I've been fortunate enough to work with him over the years and he is just the loveliest, most generous person.  So I imagine I'm predisposed to enjoy his work.  When Atlantic Theater Company announced they'd be doing his new play, 3 Kinds of Exile, I bought a ticket as soon as they were available.

Since the show doesn't officially open for two weeks, I'll only offer a few thoughts.  As always, John Guare has written a smart, funny, thought-provoking play.  The styles seemed different than previous pieces, and it's always interesting to me when a writer tries new things.  This play is about, yes, three kinds of exile.  There are three small playlets about three artists who leave their homelands to pursue their art, but also struggle to retain their identities.  Each piece had its own rhythm and tone, and they are all based on actual events.


The first scene is a monologue, the second has two actors (John Guare is one of them!  He's a charming actor, naturally!  I borrowed this photo from the Atlantic website - the photographer is Kevin Thomas Garcia), and the third is a larger, vaudevillean-type piece about Polish novelist Witold Gombrowicz.  John Guare is writing from a personal place in this play - he's an active participant in one and was witness to the story in another.  I'm not quite sure of his connection to the third.  But I think his personal connections informs the play and gives it much of its success.

I found myself very moved by the first and second pieces, but confess that the third piece did not make itself known to me.  My brain was rebelling against the storytelling methodology, but at one point, I did feel an opening and an understanding come over me.  But that didn't happen until late in the piece and it didn't last.  Ah well.  They are still in previews, after all.  I always find stories about identity, learning (or not) from your past, and being able to live with yourself to be very interesting.  And that was definitely the case here.  Plus, after meeting some Czech artists in the late 80s, I'm always interested in that Eastern European emigre experience. 

I've been thinking about these stories since last night and am compelled to do more reserach on the subjects of each of the pieces, so there's definitely value in that, whether or not I found the play as a whole to be completely successful.  But, as I said, I never miss a John Guare play and I'm very glad I didn't miss this one.  I hope to be able to go back after it opens.  No one writes like he does and he always makes me think.  And smile.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment