Saturday, April 27, 2013

Pre-Tony nomination thoughts


So, the Tony nominations come out Tuesday.   There’s still so much I haven’t seen!  I guess my living at the Signature Theatre has curtailed my Broadway viewing, though I appreciate all the generous Tony nominator/voter friends who have taken me to see some stuff this season.  So, here are my hopes for what we might hear when those nominations are read (not that I think we will hear all of these names, but typing them makes me feel better):


BEST PLAY

The Assembled Parties, Richard Greenberg
The Other Place, Sharr White
The Testament of Mary, Colm Toibin
[I haven’t seen most of the plays being mentioned as contenders, darn it]

BEST MUSICAL

Bring It On
A Christmas Story
Hands on a Hardbody
[again, I haven’t seen the supposed real contenders.  But I love the creators of these three musicals, AND I actually saw them…so there]

BEST ACTOR IN A PLAY

Alan Cumming, Macbeth
Douglas Hodge, Cyrano
Tracy Letts, Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf?
Jim Parsons, Harvey
Michael Shannon, Grace

BEST ACTRESS IN A PLAY

Jessica Hecht, The Assembled Parties
Laurie Metcalf, The Other Place
Amy Morton, Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf?
Fiona Shaw, The Testament of Mary
Holland Taylor, Ann

BEST FEATURED ACTOR IN A PLAY

Mark Blum, The Assembled Parties [I love him.  Sue me.]
Madison Dirks, Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf?
Charles Kimbrough, Harvey
David Strathairn, The Heiress
Tony Shalhoub, Golden Boy

BEST FEATURED ACTRESS IN A PLAY

Ellen Burstyn, Picnic
Carrie Coon, Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf?
Judith Ivey, The Heiress
Judith Light, The Assembled Parties
Elizabeth Marvel, Picnic
 
MUSICAL PERFORMERS

[yeah, no clue.  I have hopes for John Bolton and Johnny Rabe from A Christmas Story, and for the divine Chita in Drood.  Otherwise, I just couldn’t say]

BEST SCORE

Benj Pasek and Justin Paul, A Christmas Story
[oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please]

BEST BOOK

[if Berry Gordy gets nominated here, I may have to reconsider my career path.]
 
GOOD LUCK TO ALL!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment