Monday, July 11, 2011

Review - Eva the Chaste

A friend sent me a text yesterday morning, asking if I’d like to join him at the new play Eva the Chaste, at Theater Row.  I took a look at the blurb on Theatermania and thought “why not?”  So I left my apartment on a sunny Sunday afternoon to check out a new one-woman play…

I have to say my favorite part of the afternoon was spending time with my friend.  We had a nice walk over to the river before the show, then wandered afterwards over to Whole Foods to pick up some groceries.  This was much more fun than the play.  L

My friend had actually read the script beforehand and liked it, but agreed with me that the director and actress are doing the script no favors.  The performer has a very lilting brogue, but did little to vary her intonations throughout the performance.  Everything was played on one level and became extremely monotonous after a bit.  Her physical performance was fine and she was extremely comfortable as the only performer on-stage, and her pacing was good, but it was hard to summon any interest when she didn’t seem to have any either.

As a single woman of a certain age, I could certainly find aspects of the script to be relevant to my life experience, but it was so hard to get or stay engaged for more than a few minutes at a time.  So, bottom line, I might not run away from another play by this author, Barbara Hammond, but I’m not sure I’d attend another performance featuring the lead actress.  Sorry if that sounds mean…

No comments:

Post a Comment