Tuesday, July 5, 2011

The Love of My Life

OK, so I talk about theater boyfriends and tennis boyfriends and various other crushes and husbands, but I thought I'd take a minute to talk about the true love of my life, my nephew, Danny.  Ever since the minute he was born and I was the third person to hold him (and don't think I didn't consider pushing the bonehead brother-in-law out of the way so I could be #2!), he has resided in my heart as my very favorite person.  He once asked me, "Do you love me better than anyone else, Aunt Tari?"  I said, "Yes, I do."  He said, "What about Nana?"  I said, "Well, I've loved Nana longer, but I love you more.  Just don't tell her."  He smiled and that was that. 

I'm so fortunate that my nephew just happens to be the most handsome, funny, clever, talented and smartest boy in the world.  How great that it's worked out that way!  :)   When he was a baby, I made an effort to visit him at least a few days every few months, plus I made recordings for him, so he could always hear my voice.  I think that helped us bond, even though we're far apart.  Of course, that also spoiled him a little.  He gets so mad when I can't come to visit as often as he'd like.  Another reason I'm very fortunate--my nephew seems to love me as much as I love him.  Maybe it has something to do with the fact that we're both Aries.  Or that we were born in the same Chinese horoscope sign--the dragon.  I don't know, but I'll take it.  He's a pip and I love that he loves me so much.

I have, at various times, called him my sweetheart, my angel boy, baby, sweetie, honey, doll baby.  Now that he's getting older, I'm not allowed to call him any of those names in public.  I can call him Danny or Buddy.  It's not easy, but since he asked, I'm trying.  Of course, in private, he'll always be my angel boy... :)

When Danny was little, he used to think I lived at the airport, since that's where he always picked me up and dropped me off, I guess.  So he would get a suitcase out and say he was going to visit me.  He asked for an airport toy for Christmas one year, and would play with it and pretend I was there, too.   My mom says he would look out the window and ask where I was and when would I be there.  One time when I went to visit, we played played played for three days straight.  And when it was time for me to go, he just wrapped his little body around my legs and wouldn't let me leave.  Can I have a big 'awwwwwwwwwwwwwwww' at how cute that is?!?!?!

The last time he came to visit me, all he wanted to do was sit in my office with me.  I kept trying to get him to go out and explore New York, but he would rather sit and put together Legos or read a book, as long as he could sit near me.  I must be the luckiest aunt in the world.

In honor of the love of my life, I'm going to share some of the delicious things he has said over the years, along with a few photos.  I finally started jotting them down in my phone, so I wouldn't forget them.  So now he'll say "is that phone-worthy??"  Hee hee.  But enjoy...

  • Danny:  Aunt Tari, why didn't you wear pink?  It's the new black...
  • Danny:  Aunt Tari, do you like my evil laugh?  I've been working on it...
  • Nana:  Well, I was cute then.  Danny:  Are you sure?
  • Danny:  I think you look 36, Aunt Tari...
  • Danny:  (when setting up game pieces)  I don't want to give the devils to Mommy.  We're Christians...
  • Danny:  You sure don't want to be driving on Route 666 going south...
  • Danny:  If the mom is a person and the dad is a dragon, they'd have to have a really big bed...
  • Danny:  (eating cookie)   I love that hint of cinnamon...
  • Danny:  Mom, is this good plating?

No comments:

Post a Comment