Monday, July 18, 2011

Musings

Various summer ramblings...

So, my plastic surgeon gave me the go-ahead to ditch the surgical undergarments and finally get a real bra.  Woo hoo!  I feel like I'm 13 again!  My mom gave me a gift certificate to a cool place I found online, Linda the Bra Lady, so I made an appointment for a fitting and went over there last week.  I have to say the store is MUCH smaller than I expected.  I guess it's a lesson that all really nice websites don't mean their establishments are just as nice.  :)  Not that the store wasn't nice, it was, it was just teeny tiny.  If you stop in off the street, you can't actually browse, you have to tell the clerks exactly what you're looking for.  Then they'll go through their floor to ceiling inventory and pull you something.  I described to a friend that the racks of bras look like the scene in Monsters Inc, where they're running from the Steve Buscemi monster and they're in that huge room of doors.  Kinda.

Anyway, my salesgal was very nice and brought me quite a few choices.  It's amazing how uncomfortable a bra can feel after not wearing one for six months.  The lacy ones were definitely much more uncomfortable, so they were out.  I was surprised at the size she was bringing me, but she brought a bigger size to show me how a bra is supposed to fit.  Learn something new every day.  Like I've been wearing the wrong bra size for about 20 years.

I ended up buying two everyday bras, one sports bra, and one really odd bra that's a pull-on.  No hooks.  But I thought it might be good for sleeping.  Every now and again, it just seems more comfortable to sleep with support.

Yesterday was the first day of wearing a bra and a t-shirt.  I felt very self-conscious.  To me, the new 'girls' still aren't sitting quite right.  It's as if they're sitting horizontally instead of vertically.  I'm sure this will change as time (and gravity) moves on, but for now, I sure do look out of proportion with a big ole belly and basically a uni-boob.  Sigh.  Oh well.  At least I have a little cleavage.  As the day went on, I felt as if my left side was swelling a bit--when I got home, I did notice some indents in my skin under the left arm.  But I don't think the bra is too tight.  I guess my body just isn't used to it yet.  I'm wearing a different bra today and it feels even more odd.  Maybe the heat and humidity are making me swollen.  I wonder if I need a bigger size for the summer.  So many things to consider...

On to something other than bras:  I saw the final Harry Potter movie on Friday.  I was highly upset that the movie theater by my office wasn't offering the 2D version, but I decided to go home instead and see it in Queens.  It was probably a better choice--the theater wasn't full and the crowd, for the most part, was very attentive.  I give the movie a huge thumbs up.  I think it was a wonderful conclusion to a chock-full-of-fun movie series.  My goodness, I definitely started to cry once they got to Hogwarts, and pretty much had to stuff my fist in my mouth to stop myself from audibly sobbing.  No, not sobbing, loudly heaving.  It was pretty emotional.  I want to go back immediately; there were several scenes where I wished there was DVR in movies--I wanted to run the scene back and watch it again!  Maggie Smith was definitely DVR-able!  I think I'm going with a friend on Thursday night to catch it for a second time.  And, please, if there's any justice in the world, please reward Alan Rickman with an Oscar nod.  Thank you.

Had a grand day yesterday, traveling to Poughkeepsie to see a dear friend in 39 Steps at River Valley Rep.  I won't review the play since I can't really be objective (I will say that I had a great time and thought my dear friend was spectacular and hope that he's back on-stage soon), but I will attach a couple of photos from the beautiful scenic area around the theater.  I love a road trip!  Fingers crossed for more road trips! 




No comments:

Post a Comment