Friday, December 4, 2015

Flashity Flashback

Well, after Lazarus, I have no other shows planned for the rest of the year.  We'll see if I can make it.   In looking at all my past reviews, I came upon this one, which is only one day off in the flashback department.  It's the first show I saw after I came back from Italy - it's also one of the times I was almost mugged.  I still have nightmares about that guy...

12/5/07:  Note to self:  don’t see Shakespearean play while still jet-lagged.  For many reasons, which I'll detail...

OK, after that editorial comment, I can sort of review Cymbeline.  I did stay awake, though it was difficult because I’m still so sleeeeeeeeeeeeeepy.  I wanted to see the production mainly because Michael Cerveris is in it, but also because I’ve never seen it.  When a free ticket came up for last night, I (sleepily) pounced.

On the whole, I think it’s a solid production, if a bit unimaginative.  Director Mark Lamos has sort of stamped out any individuality in favor of clarity.  Which isn’t necessarily a bad thing (I was never confused about what was happening), but the play could’ve been much more theatrical.  I mean, this is a fantastical play, where many magical things happen, but there was no magic.  And when theatrical flourishes were added, it seemed like he was just trying to copy Jack O’Brien and Coast of Utopia.  Some of the music even sounded like Coast to me.

The acting is fine, nothing exciting, with a couple of exceptions.  I liked John Collum as the king very much.  I think he captured the uncertainty and ambiguity of the character very well without being wishy-washy.  I also liked Phylicia Rashad, though her sibilant “s” thing is starting to drive me insane.  John Pankow reminded me of one of my very favorite people in real life, so that made me giggle.  He was actually quite good.  The boys who played the rustics were very good—simple, yet intelligent and funny.  They were also quite yummy to look at.

Jonathan Cake as Iachimo was a bit too much for me.  It’s as if he thought we wouldn’t understand he was the villain, so he had to take it just that much too far.  A little less would’ve been more for me.  Though he is gorgeous to look at and spends much of the show shirtless and/or in a towel.  Bonus.  The guy playing Cloten also overplayed, as far as I’m concerned.  I was waiting for him to twirl his moustache and say wacka wacka.  Though the audience ate him up, so what do I know?

photo credit: Paul Kolnik
Michael Cerveris gives the best performance, in my humble unbiased opinion.     Normally as a performer, he is stolid, earth-bound…oh, crap, I can’t say what I mean.  He’s firmly rooted to the ground.  Sometimes he even chews a little scenery.  But in this, he’s almost ethereal, otherworldly, delicate.  It was entrancing.  His performance was extremely moving and I was riveted. 

I was not, however, riveted to Martha Plimpton’s performance.  I just did not like her take on Imogen at all, did not like her way with the text, and did not like the physical life she invented for herself.  I really liked her in Coast and Shining City, and she’s gotten really good reviews for this, so I was surprised to be so unhappy with her, but there you have it.  And, boy, I so should’ve played Imogen when I was still an ingénue.  Maybe that has something to do with my dissatisfaction...

The loge was empty last night, so inexpensive tickets can probably be found.  I guess I’d say go in you’re into Shakespeare and you enjoy Michael Cerveris.  I don’t know—I hate to say don’t go because your mileage may vary, but I don’t think it’s the production that will be the Cymbeline standard for all eternity.  Of course, I WAS severely jet-lagged...

On the way home, my sleepiness had another bad effect.  I was walking around Columbus Circle to the subway stop on 57th Street and Seventh.  As I approached Central Park South, a gentleman came up to me and asked which way was Fifth Avenue.  I vaguely pointed to the left and he started walking that way.  My radar wasn't really on.  As I crossed the street, out of the corner of my eye, I saw him turn and run across the street, directly towards me.  He was coming for me or my handbag, I knew it.  I ran and saw a girl standing outside the Fed Ex store - I ran up to her and said, "Sorry I'm late!  The show ran long!"  And, to her credit, god love her, she smiled and said, "No problem!"  We chatted, about nothing, until the guy finally passed us (he had been sort of lurking, waiting for me to move on).  When he was gone, she said, "Wow, he was totally going to mug you."  I said, "I know, thank you for playing along with me!  I don't know what I would've done if you hadn't been there."  I took one step back, looked and saw the jerk was still hanging around waiting for me.  So the girl stood with me for a long time, until he finally left.  I was so tired, I should've probably taken a cab, but I didn't have any extra cash on me.  Thankfully, I made it to the subway and home in one piece.  I just hope my very nice good Samaritan girl didn't get into trouble at work for taking too long of a break.

Shaking it off.  I don’t think I have another show for the rest of the year.  Once I wake up, I may try to pick up another ticket here or there, but, you know, I didn’t bring much money back from Italy.  Perhaps I should retrench…

No comments:

Post a Comment