Thursday, June 26, 2014

Review - tick, tick...BOOM


I have a rather strange relationship with the musical tick, tick...BOOM.  I'll see if I can make a long story short (probably not, knowing myself as I do): when I saw a college friend in the revival of The Rocky Horror Show, I became completely enchanted with Raul Esparza in the role of Riff Raff (someday, if you're interested, ask me to reenact the first moment I saw him onstage, it's pretty funny. My date, on the other hand, was not amused).  I was fortunate to see that show a few times, thanks to my generous friend, and I became more impressed with Raul's voice each time I saw the show.  He left the show rather early to star in a new Off-Broadway musical based on a rock monologue the late Jonathan Larson, composer/lyricist of Rent, had been performing.  Naturally, I was interested in seeing this new show since Raul was starring in it.

On another odd tangent, I used to work with Housing Works on a theater project for the children of homeless or formerly homeless clients who were HIV positive or had AIDS.  One of the shows we presented featured a few songs written by Jonathan Larson for an unproduced children's musical.  At one point, I met his father - we had great success with that production.

Anyway.  When the cast album for that original production of tick, tick...BOOM came out, I bought it at the Virgin Megastore on the very day it was released: September 11, 2001.  I was a little late for work that day, since I stopped to buy the CD first.  As I walked to my office in Times Square, I wondered why there were crowds of people standing in the street, watching the ABC News big screen tv.  I soon learned why.  Then, strangely enough, the very first show I saw after 9/11 was, you guessed it, tick, tick...BOOM.  So it has always had this bittersweet poignance around it, even outside the real-life sadness of Larson's story. 

I remember enjoying the original Off-Broadway production very much. Raul was, of course, a powerhouse.  Molly Ringwald had gone into the show as a replacement for Susan and she was fine, better in the book scenes than in the songs, but she could sing well enough.  I remember thinking the show was very touching, but I guess because Rent was still playing on Broadway at that time, I didn't really focus on the loss of Jonathan Larson, my mind was still focused on New York and trying to rebuild after the tragedies of 9/11.  Seeing a show was the beginning of that.

Cut to the announcement that Encores Off-Center would be producing a revival of tick, tick...BOOM.  Starring Lin-Manuel Miranda.  Um, hello.  Lin-Manuel Miranda is way up at the top of my list of very favorite special talented people.  Charm just flows from him, along with talent and a huge spirit.  I love watching him onstage.  Hearing Karen Olivo and Leslie Odom, Jr would be his co-stars was just icing on the Lin-Manuel cake.  I bought a ticket immediately.


look at that crowd!
Before the show last night, there was a pre-show talk with Jonathan Larson's family in the lobby of the theater.  Of course, I got there late, so there was no room to see anything.  I just stood at the back and tried to listen.  I couldn't really hear what was going on, but as the talk ended, suddenly there was a sing-a-long to "Seasons of Love" from Rent.  It was beautiful, hearing more and more voices take up the lyrics and wonder 'how do you measure a life.'  It was very moving and put me in a rather weepy mood before the show even started.

My seat was spectacular, in the center of the Grand Tier.  I loved it, though I did not love my seat neighbors, all seven of them, who sauntered in one at a time after the show had started.  Deep breath.  Moving on.

I loved every minute of the show.  I loved the singing, the acting, the flubs, the ad-libs.  And I was moved, so incredibly moved throughout.  And this time, I was so moved because I kept thinking of all the shows Jonathan Larson never got to write.  Hearing Lin-Manuel Miranda, a composer himself, sing of the struggles and the sacrifices people make for their art was almost unbearable during the song "Why."  I was on the verge of tears through most of the show, but big gulping sobs began during that song and when the, well, I guess you could call it the deus ex machina voice mail message was played, I was a MESS.  A heaving mess of regret and happiness.  Regret for Larson and happiness at being so moved by this honest piece of art.


photo credit: Joan Marcus
The audience was up for anything and super-engaged.  At one point, Lin's microphone went out, so a techie came out and gave him a handheld mic.  Lin used that for one scene, played it for all it was worth, then a techie came out to give him a new body mic.  As that was going on, Karen and Leslie just ad-libbed adorably.  And, of course, Lin's first line after getting all set up was "Rehearsal went well."  HUGE laughter from the crowd.  I mean, everybody was already all in, but that just sealed the deal.

I could say a lot more about how wonderful the performances were, but this post is already too long.  But they WERE wonderful.  Karen Olivo is knocking "Come to Your Senses" out of the park!  tick, tick...BOOM only runs through this weekend; I highly recommend you go out and try to get tickets.  There's so much love of theater, love of art, just plain love, and meta-theatrical beauty going on, you owe it to yourself to see it.  Watching the huge-hearted Lin-Manuel Miranda play the huge-hearted Jonathan Larson is a sight to behold.  I'm glad I took the plunge again.  And I'm so lucky to be able to "spend my time this way."  It's always good to acknowledge how much I appreciate this life...

No comments:

Post a Comment