Sunday, June 8, 2014

My Tony Predictions - 2014



As always, when I posted my Tony nomination predictions, I was way WAY off.  I can't believe the complete shut-out for Roundabout's The Winslow Boy, and the too-close-to-shut-out Bridges of Madison County.  Seriously.  The fact that it wasn't nominated for Best Musical just ticks me off to no end.  No one is saying it's perfect, but it was a good production with good quality that deserved to at least be considered among the season's best.  But...what do I know?  I would've nominated Daniel Radcliffe all three times he's been on Broadway...

So, here are my predictions and, if they're not the same, my hopes for who wins.  Though the work is the reward.  Or so I'm told.  I won't cover all the categories if I haven't seen any of the nominees.  And at the bottom of this post, I will also include a photo of me with a past Tony nominee (and who I hope will be in the mix for next season), since I don't have any photos with current nominees.  Note to self: work on that for next year.

BEST PLAY

My prediction: All the Way, Robert Schenkkan
My hope: Act One, James Lapine
(I didn't see All the Way, I'm hoping to catch it before it closes, but I was touched by the joy of the theater expressed in Act One.  I'm glad it's going to be broadcast on Live at Lincoln Center - I'm looking forward to seeing it again? I also loved Outside Mullingar, but it closed so long ago, I can't even imagine it having a ghost of a chance)

BEST MUSICAL

My prediction (and hope): A Gentleman's Guide to Love & Murder
(I had a good time at the show and it has an original book and score.  Reason enough to get my vote)

BEST SCORE

My prediction (and hugest hope): The Bridges of Madison County, Jason Robert Brown
(Seriously.  In my mind, there's no other choice.  I hope there's no other choice in the rest of the voters' minds)

BEST REVIVAL OF A PLAY

My prediction: Twelfth Night
My hope: The Glass Menagerie
(Actually, I would be fine if any of these fine productions won.  I'd prefer it not be Raisin, only because I haven't seen it, but it's always worthy)

BEST REVIVAL OF A MUSICAL

My prediction: Hedwig and the Angry Inch
My hope: Violet
(So I can see Jeanine Tesori on that stage)

BEST ACTOR IN A PLAY

My prediction: Bryan Cranston, All the Way
My hope: Samuel Barnett, Twelfth Night
(Samuel Barnett was so enchanting, I can still hear some of his line readings in my head)

BEST ACTRESS IN A PLAY

My prediction (and second hugest hope): Cherry Jones, The Glass Menagerie
(I can't bring myself to type that someone else might win.  I just can't)

BEST FEATURED ACTOR IN A PLAY

My prediction (and hope): Mark Rylance, Twelfth Night
(Is there anything he can't do?  I don't think so)

BEST FEATURED ACTRESS IN A PLAY

My prediction: Mare Winningham, Casa Valentina
My hope: Celia Keenan-Bolger, The Glass Menagerie
(I don't know why I think Winningham will win, I just do.  But I'd rather Celia did)

BEST ACTOR IN A MUSICAL

My prediction: Neil Patrick Harris, Hedwig and the Angry Inch
My hope: Jefferson Mays, A Gentleman's Guide to Love & Murder
(I love NPH and will be happy if he wins, but I didn't see his show.  I did see Mays and found him terrifically brilliant)

BEST ACTRESS IN A MUSICAL

My prediction (and third hugest hope):  Kelli O'Hara, The Bridges of Madison County
(I know, no one else thinks she's going to win.  But I do.  She's enormously popular, the show does have its champions among the voters [if not the nominators] and she's been nominated five times before.  She must win sometime)

BEST FEATURED ACTOR IN A MUSICAL

My prediction: James Monroe Iglehart, Aladdin
My hope: Joshua Henry, Violet
(All I've heard all Tony season is how Iglehart is going to win.  OK.  But I loved Joshua Henry in Scottsboro Boys, Porgy & Bess and now Violet.  I'm rooting for him)

BEST FEATURED ACTRESS IN A MUSICAL

My prediction: Lena Hall, Hedwig and the Angry Inch
My hope: Lauren Worsham, A Gentleman's Guide to Love & Murder
(I thought Lauren took the old-fashioned musical theater ingenue and turned her into a quirky, fun new creation.  I look forward to watching her career)

Of the other awards, I hope Jason Robert Brown also gets acknowledged for his gorgeous orchestrations, and I have a fondness for the set and lights for Cripple of Inishmaan.  Other than that, I have no dogs in the race.  I'm looking forward to the broadcast - Hugh Jackman is all that and a bag of chips, and Sting will be doing a number from his new musical (I saw the PBS special and I found a lot of that music to be gorgeous).  I'm bummed there won't be a number from Bridges, but I hope the other stuff comes off well.  Last year's opening number was SOOOOOOOOOO fantastic, there's a hugely high standard to reach.  Here's hoping they do...

next year, Albee's Delicate Balance had better win Tonys!!

No comments:

Post a Comment