Monday, November 12, 2012

Thoughts on Golden Boy

Thanks to Storm Sandy, a lot of my theatergoing had to be shuffled around.  And suddenly I was seeing earlier previews than originally scheduled.  That's what happened with Golden Boy - I actually ended up seeing the first preview.  Since I don't believe in reviewing such an early preview, I'll just offer a few thoughts.

First, I didn't realize it was the 75th anniversary of the play.  That's very cool.  I also didn't realize that the play originally opened at the Belasco Theater.  That is also very cool.  I tried to read some of the posters outside while I was standing in line to get in, but I didn't finish.  I guess I'll have to walk by the theater during the day to check them out.  The last time I was at the Belasco was for End of the Rainbow and I was in the orchestra, so I didn't really get to see the renovations up close.  Friday night, I was in the mezzanine, so it was nice to see how meticulously everything up there had been spruced up.  I imagined the theater looked that beautifully new 75 years ago...

I love Clifford Odets' plays.  I just find his gritty realism so stirring and honest.  No, there's generally no happily ever after, but these are real people struggling through life's issues with honesty and passion.  I like that.  I've actually never seen the play, Golden Boy, only the movie with William Holden and Barbara Stanwyck.  But the story holds up so well.  I found these struggles very powerful and moving. 

All of the actors are quite good already, so I can only imagine how great they'll be once the show opens.  The dialects are good and the characterizations are very deep.  You could feel sympathy for, yet frustration with, every character on stage.  Some of them may have had stereotypical behavior, but none were stereotypes, if that makes sense.  I was quite moved, especially during the penultimate scene, by the family dynamic and the choices everyone made.  There's a whole bunch of good work going on up on that stage.

I think the performance ran a little long, it was a smidge over three hours, which I'm sure can be tightened up.  Yes, the play does have two intermissions, but it seemed as if each intermission went on a little long, and the set changes also seemed slow.  I'm not sure if we need such a complicated set, but once everything works the way its supposed to, it will be impressive. 
The show is well-directed, as most Bartlett Sher productions are, but I was confused by some of the blocking in the first scene.  I wonder if the movement was hamstrung by the set pieces, but it was hard to tell.  I guess I just have to go back and see how it all works once they get all the kinks out.  But, even though it seemed a bit long, that was just because my brain noticed the set issues and not because I was bored for an instant.  I was completely engaged and totally enthralled with what the actors were doing with this vibrant dialogue.  I was wonderfully entertained and enjoyed myself thoroughly.

Unlike the doofus sitting next to me, who was bored out of his mind, yet wouldn't leave.  He read his program, he looked at his phone (to his small credit, he had turned the light on his phone screen down very low, but I could still tell what he was doing).  I believe he stayed just so he could rudely do a slow sarcastic clap once the play was over.  I nearly said something to him but held my tongue.  Grrrrr.  But I will shake off his doofusness and say you should all go see Golden Boy.  Just maybe wait a few more days until they get that set thing straightened out...

No comments:

Post a Comment