Friday, May 18, 2012

It's good to have places (and people) to rely on

In this crazy world, it's always good to have your reliables - the restaurants that make you feel good, especially when you go with the people who make you feel good.  I have several restaurants around town like this: West Bank Cafe, Beacon, Lombardi's, Croton Reservoir.  I love trying new restaurants, but, sometimes, you just want to go to a favorite.  It's like a warm hug.  With food.  And what's the common denomonator?  Going with friends.  :)

Top of my ever-reliable list is Arriba Arriba.  I believe I had my first-ever margarita there and was hooked from the first sip.  Of course, this was also where I first got drunk on tequila (it was not pretty), but at least I learned my lesson and now stop after one drink.  They're pretty big. 
Not only are the margaritas fantastic, but I also really like Arriba Arriba's food.  It's warm, tasty, cheesy and doesn't use too much cilantro. And in the same way that I choose going to the same restaurants, I always choose the same dishes.  Call me boring.  I like to start with guacamole, then either get a shrimp quesadilla or the enchiladas.  Last night was a cheese enchilada night.  Well, beans and cheese.  Actually, I think this was the first time I got the vegetarian option.  I used to get the chicken.  Next time, I might ask to get black beans on the side, since there were refried beans inside the enchilada and on the side.  That's a lot of refried beans. 

Another enjoyable part of Arriba Arriba is their service.  Their servers are always a lot of fun (and generally really good looking).  Plus, they don't rush you to try to turn over the table.  I like that in a restaurant (though we try to be mindful to not overstay our welcome if there are a lot of people waiting to get in).  I'll say that last night's server was a tad on the slow side.  They were busy, yes, but still.  After all that cheesy deliciousness, I am always WAY too full to get dessert - I want to try it someday, though.  Flan is always a good thing.  Flan is a reason not to be a vegan anymore...
But even if I didn't like the food, the best part about going to Arriba Arriba is that I always go with a bunch of friends.  I love my friends.  And I love them even more every time I see them.  My heart just swells.  We always have such a good time together.  There's nothing better than sitting outside, enjoying beautiful weather, drinking a tasty margarita and laughing hard with your friends.  Nights like that make boring days seem like a distant memory.  Let's raise a glass to the faithfuls - to food, to restaurants, to cocktails and to dear friends. 


No comments:

Post a Comment