Saturday, May 19, 2012

A beautiful Saturday in New York

Normally, even though it's lazy, I like to stay in on the weekends - I'm usually pretty tired after a long work week and I need time to get my apartment clean for the week ahead.  But, since I had a ticket to Giselle for the matinee, I decided to leave the apartment early, to enjoy the weather and get some photos.  I definitely had a lovely day.

I got off the subway at 57th Street and walked over to Central Park.  I just kind of wandered around, in the sun, taking pictures, while listening to my Norm Lewis playlist on my iPhone. :)  There were lots of people out, but everyone was in pretty good spirits and seemed to keep in their own space.  I watched a little soccer, watched a little softball and just generally enjoyed myself.

I was getting ready to head over to Central Park West, when I saw a commotion.  And there it was - a raccoon.  It had taken someone's food bag and was rooting around in it.  This raccoon was HUGE!  I don't think I've ever been so close to one and I'm from Ohio!!  The people were trying to feed the raccoon and I just started to become afraid of rabid bites happening, so I skedaddled.  I did get some nice flower photos on my way out of the park, so I'll include those at the end.  I intended to stop at Starbucks on my way to the Met, but I took too long in the park, so...no Starbucks.  Oh well.

I was really looking forward to seeing another Giselle, since I had had such a good time last Tuesday.  Today, the stars were Natalia Osipova and David Hallberg.  I had seen them dance Romeo and Juliet a couple of years ago and they were sublime, so I was thrilled they were paired up for Giselle.  Luckily, I got to the theater early enough to make a pit stop, then was able to crawl over my seat neighbors, who perhaps saw the original production of Giselle at ABT in 1940.  Get my drift?  ;)   But they were very attentive neighbors, if perhaps a little unaware of the concept of 'indoor voice'.  But I did my best to block them out.

The performance was fantastic.  David was, as always, classical yet accessible.  His line and technique are out of this world, and his acting is just as fantastic.  He made many different choices than Marcelo Gomes had made the other night.  He was more intrinsically regal, yet more impetuous with Giselle.  He didn't seem to have as many planned 'moves' to put on her, yet you got the sense that he had given himself the goal of kissing her that day.  He made many attempts, yet never quite got there, which kept him dangling.  In a romantic way, of course.  Natalia was gorgeous as Giselle.  I was surprised that she didn't have the usual Giselle costume on, hers was a little sleeker and sexier, a little shinier, but that's ok.  She was a sprightly maiden, yet showed some signs of mental imbalance early on, which foreshadowed the mad scene nicely.  Her dancing was light and quick, with gorgeous extension.  Her arms are so soft, they're just lovely.  As opposed to Julie Kent, who was a reserved girl, Natalia was more outgoing and a part of the town.  And her rapport with David is palpable.  They both get terrific elevation and move in perfect sync.

I had never seen Patrick Ogle before - he played Hilarion, the romantic rival.  His acting was a tad small and his dancing in the second act wasn't really dynamic enough.  I'm thinking he'll grow into the role, though.  The peasant pas de deux was charmingly done by Misty Copeland and Craig Salstein.  They were both warm and winning, if not exactly distinctive.  Stella Abrera danced Myrta nicely, though could've been more commanding.  The Wilis danced well together - there's one part of their choreography that's featured in the film The Turning Point (it's Leslie Browne's drunk scene) so I always smile a little when that variation begins.  There was a gal in the chorus today who had such an odd way of turning, it was like she was unhinging her back instead of bending it.  She grabbed my eye.  I have no idea which dancer she is, though.

Natalia and David were even more amazing in the second act, dancing with ardor and abandon.  They were gorgeous when mirroring each other's choreography.  They really are so well matched.  Interestingly, as opposed to Marcelo's Albrecht not looking AT Julie's Giselle and just feeling her, David looked right at Natalia and seemed to question his own sanity when he saw her.  It was a different and just as valid interpretation.  Their pas de deux were stunning, though I will admit that I felt that Julie created more of a spirit.  She was just air, whereas Natalia felt more human, even in spirit form.  Nothing wrong with that, just different.

The ending was just as glorious and sad and terrific.  And I am thrilled I remembered my binoculars, because I got close-up views of wonderful acting by both David and Natalia.  I only use them sparingly, because I like to see how choreography fits in the whole space, but when I know a ballet well enough, I know when to take a closer view without cutting off the big picture.  Hooray for binoculars.

You can tell that David and Natalia enjoy each other - their curtain call is warm and inviting.  The house was much more full than it was the other night, so I guess people weren't as interested in seeing Julie dance it as they were in seeing Natalia dance it.  Oh well.  But the ovation today was loud and went on for quite a while.  David and Natalia give nice curtain call.  Not dramatic, just appreciative. 

I finished my fun day by stopping at Whole Foods and picking up a few things.  Then I stopped at Argo Tea and tried their new Pom Tea, with red tea and pomegranate juice.  Yum yummy.  A nice end to a nice day.

Tomorrow will be another outdoor day - the AIDS Walk!  Here's hoping my feet hold up!  :)





No comments:

Post a Comment