Thursday, February 13, 2020

Review - Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, parts one and two

Back story time - your favorite!  I didn't know anything about the Harry Potter series of books before the first movie came out in 2001.  I don't remember why, but for some reason I saw a screening of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone at the old Virgin Megastore basement movie theater and was hooked.  I just found the film absolutely charming and so I quickly caught up on the books.  I gobbled the later books up as they were released and I eagerly awaited all of the films.  I never did the 'line up the night before' thing, but I did partake of everything in a timely fashion (unlike now, where I wait too long to see or read anything, but I digress) and always enjoyed myself thoroughly.

When the new script/book was released, I purposely did not buy it because I thought I wanted to maintain the purity of the original series.  When the production finally made it to New York, I was quickly priced out.  I tried, nearly every Friday, for lottery tickets, and I hopped on to the internet whenever a new batch of tickets was released.  I finally finally got one ticket, next-to-last row of the balcony, for both parts of Harry Potter and the Cursed Child on a Saturday!  It would be a long, exciting, super-fun day.


I purposefully had not read reviews of the production, because I wanted to experience it with no expectations.  All I've heard from my very kind friends who didn't want to spoil things for me was that the shows were super-magical - which they are!  I should warn you all, however, that there may be spoilers in my post below.  So if you haven't seen the show, I'd close this window now.  I tried to obey the "don't look at the program if you don't want to see spoilers" notice, but at intermission of the first part, I took a look at the program insert, just to see who was playing Harry Potter.  I then saw another actor's name that made me go WHEEEEEE, and then I saw what characters that actor was playing.  SUPER SPOILER.  So that was a bit of a bummer, though, I guess, I should've known/figured things about those characters if I truly thought ahead about the plot points introduced...

...ugh, ok, if I talk about the show, there could very well be spoilers.  I will do my best not to, but sometimes I just won't be able to help it!  So please leave now if you haven't seen the show and if you plan to.  Which you absolutely should.  I had the best day ever and you will, too.  Then you can come back after you see the shows.


All right then, here we go.  Actually, first I'm going to share my posts about the show, that I made during the show, on social media, because suddenly I'm unable to find my words.  Then I'll fill in some blanks...


Part 1 Intermission report:
1. Wow;
2. Young gentleman sitting next to me may have a granny fetish because he keeps chatting me up about my favorite Potter things;
3. Should not have taken a look at that cast list insert;
4. The guy in front of me thinks he’s Chris Evans;
5. He is not;
6. Wow.


Break before Part 2 report:
1. OH.MY.GOD;
2. The young gentleman next to me consumed two bottles of wine during Part 1 (he's with two chums, but still). I just can't imagine their response to Part 2 (if they're even awake, they invited me to join them at a bar, but I declined);
3.. I wish I had extra money for some swag, it's really cool-looking;
4. I'm grateful the theater is across the street from my office, so I could just pick up a snack and sit in comfort during the break;
5. I wish I didn't have to wait over two hours for the rest!
6. Wow.

Part 2 Intermission Report:
1. Well, that was unexpected;
2. Young gentleman (and his two friends) brought ANOTHER bottle of Prosecco to this act, I don’t know how they’re even still standing;
3. The stagecraft is...off-the-charts;
4: I’ve missed magic;
5: I didn’t know one of my favorite stage actors was in this - I may not recover;
6: Squeeeeeee - what is going to happen?!?!?!

Post-show report
1.  GOBSMACKED! My blog post will be EPIC, I’m thinking. 
2.  Seat neighbors update: they had a fourth bottle of Prosecco in the second act. The gent next to me accidentally clinked his glass on the bottle and they all giggled (or drunkenly tried to stifle giggles) for the last 30 minutes of the show. After curtain call, they staggered out of their seats and into the balcony lobby. I asked an usher to keep an eye on them but made sure to get down the stairs ahead of them. My balance is not what it was, you know. Oh my. I hope they’re not driving anywhere...

photo credit: Matthew Murphy
Clearly, I had so many other thoughts when I was watching the show!  But my main feeling was one of delight.  I was delighted that the production lived up to my memories of the first series of books/movies; I was delighted there was so much magical magic; I was delighted with the story (for the most part; of course, being me, I had quibbles; more on them later).  I felt like I spent an entire day filled with delight, even when I was scared/horrified/moved by the story and the production.

photo credit: Sara Krulwich
Harry Potter and the Cursed Child starts almost where the final film lets out, at Kings Cross Station, with Harry and Ginny's kids going to Hogwarts.  The play is mainly a depiction of the struggle of fathers/sons, past/present, good/evil, love/duty.  There are fierce friendships, sacrifices, traumas, and guilts.  The script did a good job, I think, of telling a mature story, but maintaining the youthful energy of the original stories.  I thought the new characters added were mainly terrific (the young man playing the son of Draco Malfoy was fantastic, as was the character himself) and the different shadings of the characters we watched grow up were also fascinating.  

I gasped along with the rest of the audience at the end of the first part (ok, seriously, this was one of the most incredible [and unexpected] act breaks I've ever seen!) and was teary at the final confrontations.  Though, to be honest, I thought the script put way too much on Harry at the end; I'm not sure we needed to see that much more trauma heaped on this man/kid who already survived the worst over and over again.  There was a youngster in the balcony who was quite disturbed; I don't blame him.  At times, though I understood the struggle between fathers and sons, the gulf seemed needlessly cruel.  Quibbling on details, I also wondered why we never saw Harry's older children after a certain point in the story - once he and Ginny start back fighting evil, they never even need to say goodbye or have a conversation with them?  That was odd to me.

I loved how a time-turner became a focal point of the storytelling, though it did seem an easy way to bring back characters from the earlier books (Stephen Spinella, who is a treasure of the American theater, in my opinion, is the only actor who could play one of the characters brought back; he was magnificent).  I adored how love and friendship was again the basis of all the light in the world.  I cheered that book learning was celebrated and appreciated. I really loved the set effects when the time-turner was used; in fact, all of the stage effects and magic effects were out of this world.  From the very first transformation when students were suddenly wearing their Hogwarts robes out of thin air (and the first time characters used polyjuice potion to become other characters), I was completely enchanted.  There were high-tech magical effects and low-tech magical effects and the combination of the two worked brilliantly.  The physical production was marvelous, the choreography was inspired, and the acting company was amazing.  Even with my story quibbles, I had the most marvelous time at Harry Potter and the Cursed Child.  If a ticket finally lands in your lap, I highly recommend checking it out.

It suddenly occurs to me that I've recently seen two plays that were done in two parts, where I had a wonderful all-day theatrical experience.  I'm now thinking of the other writers who I want to write multiple-part-plays - I'm dying to see an all-day Martyna Majok event, or two plays by Rajiv Joseph, or two plays by Stephen Adly Guirgis, or two musicals by Michael R Jackson, or two plays by Chisa Hutchinson, or two plays by Mike Lew.  Almost anyone, really.  Seriously, the bigger the better.  I obviously need to win the lottery so I can be the benefactor, the impresario who can make these things happen.  Excuse me while I head off to the nearest lottery ticket machine and hope for a little magic of my own...


No comments:

Post a Comment