Friday, May 24, 2019

ABT 2019 - Ratmansky Trio

My second ballet of the spring season was billed as Ratmansky Trio, celebrating the tenth year of Alexei Ratmansky's tenure at ABT.  One of the three short ballets was brand new, to celebrate the anniversary, and two others were brought back after a while out of the repertory.  It was a lovely evening all around.

There was a disappointing moment at the top of the evening - the dreaded white slip of paper fell out of my program.  Unfortunately, Herman Cornejo was injured and would be unable to dance.  This was really sad - I so enjoy Cornejo and had looked forward to seeing him in the new ballet.  But, I guess better safe than sorry.  I hope he gets well soon.  Like last week, the balcony was disappointingly empty, though again my row in the center was full, but there weren't many people behind us.  I don't know if people aren't ready for ballet yet, or if they're waiting for the story ballets later in the season, but I'm surprised at how sparse the crowds have been so far.  Though the people who were there were very vocal in their cheers and support.  My row had a trio of ladies-of-an-even-older-certain-age-than-me who yelled "BRAVI" with gusto throughout.

photo credit: Rosalie O'Connor
First up was "Songs of Bukovina," with music by Leonid Desyatnikov.  It's a non-linear piece, set to short preludes based on old Ukranian folk songs, played by a solo pianist (Jacek Mysinski, who played beautifully).  The ballet has five couples, with Isabella Boylston and Blaine Hoven as the lead couple.  I enjoyed watching the steps and the shapes created in space, but I didn't really get a sense of the ballet as a whole; what story was it trying to tell me?  Well, not 'story' per se, but what was I supposed to take away?  I didn't sense any connection between the dancers and music, but, again, it was beautifully danced and I just love the sense of joie de vivre that Boylston brings to her dancing.  She just fills the stage and Blaine Hoven was an excellent partner for her.  I was also quite taken with Joo Won Ahn throughout and was happy to see him in an even bigger role later in the evening.  I would definitely like to see "Songs of Bukovina" again to dig more deeply into it.

photo credit: Gene Schiavone
After a very long intermission (I should've went to grab a snack at the bar), we were treated to "On the Dnieper," a lovely ballet that seems almost Tudor-esque in its longing and disappointments in love.  With music by Prokofiev, this piece is about a young man who comes home from the war and realizes he doesn't love his fiancee, but instead loves another woman (who has a fiance of her own).  There is a lot of pining and beautifully eloquent dancing by people who want what they can't have.  Cory Stearns was regal and strong (stalwart, even) and paired equally well with Hee Seo (as his rejected fiancee) and Christine Shevchenko as his new love.  The music occasionally sounded like cut bits from Romeo and Juliet, but all in all, this is a gorgeous short ballet with lyrical dancing and strong character work.  James Whiteside had a terrific solo as the rejected suitor and there is an amazing moment when flowers are strewn around the stage - glorious.  I loved it.

Finally, the big event: the premiere of Ratmansky's new ballet, "The Seasons," with music by Alexander Glazunov.  I don't know Glazunov's work, or his suite called "The Seasons," but the music was gorgeous and I will be looking for a recording of it.  The ballet is separated into the four seasons, beginning with winter, though by the end, all of the seasons are blending into one another (with climate change, this isn't such a far-fetched notion, right?).  I thought the ballet was simply glorious, filled with air and energy and joy.  Ratmansky said in the program, "'The Seasons' is a celebration of American Ballet Theatre and its dancers.  It is a declaration of love, expression of gratitude, and gift to the company that has been my home for the last ten years."  You can see the love throughout the ballet.

photo credit: Rosalie O'Connor
Winter was first, and Joo Won Ahn who I so enjoyed in the first piece, was the lead gentleman, who partnered his four ballerinas beautifully, and also danced his solos with precision and verve.  The ladies also danced with elegance and freedom (they were Zhong-Jing Fang, Devon Teuscher, April Giangeruso, and Betsy McBride).  There were other corps de ballet dancers as snowflakes throughout, and this was just a gorgeous entry into the piece as a whole.

Two gnomes dance around with red scarves, I guess to chase off winter, and then we're in Spring.  Thomas Forster, Cassandra Trenary, and Breanne Granlund were the lead dancers here and they were all simply wonderful.  Just the way the three of them moved around the stage, together and singly, was amazing.  All of the patterns were simply sublime (I'm glad I had my binoculars this time, to catch some close-ups from time to time).  

Summer was also gorgeous, with the corps de ballet in lovely lilac costumes as cornflowers, then young students were poppies in bright red dresses.  The lead dancer was Stella Abrera as the Spirit of the Corn, and she was chased around by a Faun (who was supposed to be played by Herman Cornejo and was replaced by Blaine Hoven, who was quite good).  Coming to her rescue was Thomas Forster, as the Zephyr from spring.  Their pas de deux was fantastic!  So smooth and elegant, yet free-flowing and spirited.  It was wonderful.  

Finally Bacchus and Bacchante from Autumn come joyously onstage and suddenly everyone comes to even larger life.  Calvin Royal III and Catherine Hurlin are fantastic and leading the proceedings to their exuberant final steps.  I thought "The Seasons" was spectacular and would happily have watched it again right after.  I hope that they'll bring this piece back in the fall, because I would so love to see it again.  This season is off to a great start, as far as I'm concerned...

No comments:

Post a Comment