Friday, April 24, 2015

Thoughts on Tony nominations

The Tony nominations will be announced on Tuesday - excitement is building around town.  I haven't seen so many of the contenders, it seems silly to speculate about things, but speculate I will.  Good thing I'm never afraid to be silly.

These thoughts are the names of people I'd like to hear next Tuesday, or what I think should be nominated, based on what I've seen, which isn't much.  I know most of them are longshots, but, hey, I liked them:

BEST PLAY

Constellations
The Country House
Disgraced
(I'm dying to see the shows that are supposed to be the true contenders, like Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night TimeHand to GodThe Audience, Airline Highway and Wolf Hall.  I guess I'll just have to pray for generous Tony voter friends)

BEST MUSICAL

Fun Home
Honeymoon in Vegas
The Visit

REVIVAL OF A PLAY

The Heidi Chronicles
Love Letters
You Can't Take it With You
(it breaks my heart not to type A Delicate Balance here, but I just didn't like the production)

REVIVAL OF A MUSICAL

On the Twentieth Century
On the Town
Side Show
(DYING to see The King and I, which I'm sure will sweep)

ACTOR IN A PLAY

Jake Gyllenhaal, Constellations
Hugh Jackman, The River
Douglas Sills, Living on Love
(I just haven't seen enough, this is bad)

ACTRESS IN A PLAY

Blythe Danner, The Country House
Mia Farrow, Love Letters
Renee Fleming, Living on Love
Elisabeth Moss, The Heidi Chronicles
Ruth Wilson, Constellations


FEATURED ACTOR IN A PLAY

Bob Balaban, A Delicate Balance
Bryce Pinkham, The Heidi Chronicles
Reg Rogers, You Can't Take it With You

FEATURED ACTRESS IN A PLAY

Annaleigh Ashford, You Can't Take it With You
Claire Higgins, A Delicate Balance
Sarah Steele, The Country House

ACTOR IN A MUSICAL

Michael Cerveris, Fun Home
Peter Gallagher, On the Twentieth Century
Rob McClure, Honeymoon in Vegas
Roger Rees, The Visit
Tony Yazbeck, On the Town

ACTRESS IN A MUSICAL

Kristin Chenoweth, On the Twentieth Century
Laura Michelle Kelly, Finding Neverland
Chita Rivera, The Visit

FEATURED ACTOR IN A MUSICAL

Fred Applegate, The Last Ship
Jason Danieley, The Visit
Tony Danza, Honeymoon in Vegas
Kelsey Grammer, Finding Neverland
Aaron Lazar, The Last Ship

FEATURED ACTRESS IN A MUSICAL

Carolee Carmello, Finding Neverland
Judy Kuhn, Fun Home
Sydney Lucas, Fun Home
Nancy Opel, Honeymoon in Vegas
Mary Louise Wilson, On the Twentieth Century

SCORE

Jason Robert Brown, Honeymoon in Vegas
John Kander and Fred Ebb, The Visit
Sting, The Last Ship
Jeanine Tesori and Lisa Kron, Fun Home

No comments:

Post a Comment