Monday, November 24, 2014

Review - Side Show

Well, hello there!  Have you missed me?  I've been fighting a mighty case of stomach flu, so I apologize for the radio silence.  I haven't seen much theater lately, though I do have a few things coming up.  I did, however, see a show a couple of weeks ago that I never got around to reviewing.  I figure I could offer up a few thoughts now.  My brain is still on post-flu-scramble, though, so you've been warned.

Backstory first:  I saw the original production of Side Show, mainly because a dear college chum played one of the twins.  I've known, loved and admired her for many many years, so when I saw Side Show, I could barely see the production itself, I was just too happy for her and overtaken by emotion the whole evening to really register the show.  Of course, I bought the cast album and I've been listening to it ever since.  From that original production, besides seeing and loving my friend, I also fell in love with Norm Lewis, so my biggest takeaways are those two performances.  I tried to get a ticket for the final performance, so I could watch the show again and see what I missed, but it didn't work out.  I enjoyed seeing the show, don't get me wrong, and I enjoy the cast album greatly, but I don't really remember all that much about that original production.  Therefore, I don't think I was bringing too much baggage with me into seeing the revival.  I could, of course, be wrong...

When a handsome friend asked if I'd like to see the revival with him, I agreed at once.  I was glad to get a look at the newly revised version of Side Show and looked forward to seeing the show without all the distractions I gave myself the first time.  Unfortunately, I find myself having a hard time crafting a review after seeing it.  I enjoyed myself again, without a doubt, but I certainly wasn't moved as much as my handsome friend (who sobbed audibly throughout, god love him) and I found myself vaguely dissatisfied throughout. Maybe I was influenced more by the original production than I thought I could be.  I can appreciate the show on a philosophical level, but it didn't really reach me emotionally as much as I wanted it to.  Well, except of course for the twins' two major ballads, they were quite moving, as always.  And the very end was striking. 

I think I missed the sungthrough apsect of the show, some of the book material dragged the pace, especially in the first act, in my opinion.  I can understand why the extended flashback sequence was put in, but it didn't really help me learn anything important.  There were some musical motifs that I really missed, and I preferred a couple of the original songs to their replacements.  The show is visually stunning, and I think it's excellently directed, but I also think I prefer the more expressionistic approach Bobby Longbottom used in the original production than the hyper-realistic one used now.  What I can imagine is always more than what I can see.  On the one hand, I can see they've tried to make the show more 'realistic' and 'gritty', yet I feel they've cleaned the show up too much, and made it a little too PC, which I know is a really strange thing to say.  The scrubbing removed some of the power within, but having said all that, the cumulative effect of all the changes made the ending MUCH more powerful.  I was quite breathless at the end of the show and wishing I had felt like that more throughout.


photo credit: Cade Martin
The ladies playing the twins are spectacular, very different from the originals, but still finding so much humanity and poignance.  They also mined a lot of humor in the new book sections, which was welcome.  I found most of the other performances a tad wanting, and I really missed Norm Lewis' warmth and empathy.  But I always miss Norm Lewis, whether he's supposed to be in a show or not, lol. 
I don't know.  I guess I'm still so emotionally attached to that first experience, I can't really open my eyes to the revival.  I wanted to love it.  I did.  I tried.  But I did like it and appreciated its message, as always.  The leads are giving spectacular performances and I think people should see it, especially to hear the gorgeous music.  I'm just not sure if the reception to the show will be any different than it was last time.  I hope I'm wrong.  Sorry for the scattered and slightly goofy review.  It's the best I can do the first day back...

No comments:

Post a Comment