Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Return to Rocky


After I saw the first preview of the new Broadway musical version of Rocky, I thought it would run forever.  I really did.  The audience went crazy for it, that fight scene at the end was spectacular and everyone was so enthusiastic.  Color me shocked that the show will close on Sunday, after only a six-month run.  Because of my love for the creative team, and my thoughts that perhaps seeing the first preview kept me from enjoying the show fully, last night I made my return to the Winter Garden Theatre. 

Unfortunately, I still don't think I love Rocky.  I wanted to, desperately.  But there is something that is stopping me.  Maybe I want to love it too much.  I wish I could put my finger on it.  But even though I don't love it, I still enjoyed myself and I still can't understand why this show is closing.  Again, the audience went insane for the show, especially during that last scene, but throughout much of the rest of the show as well.  And everyone walked out of there on a great theatrical high.


Maybe it's the libretto that tripped me up?  Much of the original film screenplay is used and the new stuff sometimes doesn't perfectly fit with it.  And the scenes don't seem to build, at least to me.  They seem rather disconnected, with story, sure, but not an arc.  Is my problem the direction?  Yes, there is some flashy and cool stuff happening, and the last fight scene is really a marvel, but maybe the lack of an arc can be laid at the feet of the director.  For example: intellectually, I understand why so much video was used, especially in the training "montage," but we're at a live musical, darn it.  Why try to make it look like a movie?  Having all the Rockys run in place while the FILM moves behind them irritated me.  And, I'm sorry, but all the dancing Rockys reminded me (in a bad way) of all the dancing Spider Man doubles.  That's on me, but it didn't work for me, nor did some of the scenic technology's overly modern feel.  The scenework seemed heavy to me, or slow, or something.  There is humor in the piece but there's no lightness, no air.  It was almost oppressive and not in a thematic way.  Again, at least to me.

There are terrific songs, naturally, but for me it's such a shame that the music that's repeated the most, and that's in your brain as you exit, is a song that was written for one of the Rocky movies.  I don't blame the composing team, who are thoughtful, brilliant dramatists.  Their other shows are some of my best theatrical experiences ever.  I have a feeling they were rather hamstrung in what they could do with Rocky.  I could also be completely insane.  But since some of their individual songs were so dang strong, I kept getting frustrated that the continuity of the score kept getting broken up by pre-existing music.  Beautifully orchestrated, but still.  The selling point of an original Rocky musical should be the original score.  Period.  And I don't think that's what the producers and the director were selling.  At least from my vantage point.
 

photo credit: Sara Krulwich
The performers were all terrific, with much charm and heart, though they also seemed a little hamstrung (I guess that's my word for the day) by pre-existing notions of the characters.  Like they had to stay in a box that was already put together for them.  I don't know.  I'm not really expressing myself very well.  Maybe I've just overintellectualized everything and couldn't get on board no matter what anyone did.  I'd like to think that's not the case, but who knows.  I promise, I really wanted to love it.

Fundamentally, I really give up on trying to understand producers and Broadway producing models and audiences.  Shows like Rocky and Bridges of Madison County, and lots of other titles I could mention, though flawed, are still quality work that should run longer than three to six months.  Especially with other shows I could name, but won't out of politeness, that are simply terrible but are still packing 'em in.  Is it the marketing?  Could the advertising be to blame?  Are the producers too quick to pull the plug?  Could we do more to educate the audiences?  I wish I knew.  I mean, I know it all boils down to the money, but is the money being spent in the wrong place?  Argh!  I WISH I KNEW.  I also wish I were a multi-billionaire so I could make sure these shows find their audience and can stay open.  Excuse me whilst I go downstairs to buy a lottery ticket...

No comments:

Post a Comment