Saturday, August 16, 2014

Restaurant Week Lunch #4

I really need to start a savings account for next year's RW.  I had such a good time, and such great meals this year, that four lunches may not be enough next time.  I'm already starting to think about what new places I'd like to try.  But yesterday, I finally finally ate at the uber-popular Nobu for my last RW lunch this summer.

A work chum and I went downtown to Tribeca to enjoy Nobu's RW lunch.  We got there a little early, but were seated right away.  Oh, the neighborhood around the restaurant is a construction mess, so I couldn't get many good exterior shots.  I borrowed some of these from the website.  I'm happy to remove if asked.  The restaurant Iis lovely, very airy with lots of teak and bamboo.  We sat at a nice small table in the back and enjoyed a leisurely lunch.

Nobu has an extensive wine and cocktail list, but since I got a little tipsy last week, I settled for one of their non-alcoholic drinks.  I got the lychee punch, which had lychee, cranberry juice, grapefruit juice and a Japanese type of yogurt drink.  The drink was delicious - very smooth, sweet and tart.  And icily perfect to go with my lunch.

Everything on the special lunch menu sounded so good, it was hard to decide what to get!  I finally decided to start with the black cod miso, since it's a signature dish for Nobu.  My chum and I were so disappointed to miss out on the softshell crab appetizer that we decided to supplement our lunch with the softshell crab sushi roll.  I have to say that the black cod miso is one of the most delicious bites I've ever had!  Two pieces atop crisp limestone lettuce - the server suggested we eat them with our hands, like a lettuce wrap.  The cod just melted in my mouth, with a sweet and salty glaze.  It had a sprinkling of something crunchy on top, and came with crisp cold shaved daikon on the side.  It was Iincredibly fresh and delicious and a wonderful start to the meal.

I know Nobu is known for their sushi, but since the main course fish dish was described as 'assorted sushi,' I decided to avoid it, knowing that tuna would be a main feature of the dish.  Have I ever mentioned my pathological distaste for tuna?  I'm shuddering just typing the word.  Moving on.  I got the beef with teriyaki sauce, and shared that softshell crab sushi roll with my chum.  Jeeper bedeepers, they were both incredibly delicious!  The beef was perfectly cooked and was so flavorful.  It had a nice crust on the outside, with a slight char, and the inside was buttery soft.  The glaze was sweet, but not cloyingly so.  And that sushi roll was so tasty - the balance of flavors was perfect and the crab was great.  I'm so glad we decided to share that extra dish, even if it did put us over the $25 lunch cost...

My dessert was the ginger panna cotta, which is seriously now one of my favorite desserts ever.  I love a panna cotta anyway, but adding ginger and mango amped things way up.  I also love ginger, and it takes a deft hand to make sure it doesn't overpower a dish.  This ginger was just the right amount, with a little heat and warmth.  Plus, I may be mistaken, but I think there were white chocolate/ginger shavings on top.  I'm going to imagine that's what they were - it makes me happy to think such a thing exists.

Farewell, RW.  I will miss you.  Back to saving my money for theater, I know my reviews lately have been lacking.  Let's put some free ticket energy into the universe, please.  But coming up next?  TENNIS!!  My mom arrives tomorrow for our annual trip to the US Open qualifying tournament.  I can't wait.  We'll see if I find some blogging time when Mom is here - we always fit so much into the short time she's here.  Who knows what adventures we'll have!! :)









No comments:

Post a Comment