Thursday, July 24, 2014

Lots of Lear

Hi, everybody!  I'm currently enjoying some quality time and some touristy things with my nephew, oop, I mean my whole family, AND I've made several reservations for Restaurant Week when I get back to NYC.  I'll be reporting on all that soon.  But I thought I'd do an autopost in advance of a certain show and the beginning of its run...

I was sad not to have won a ticket during the Public's run of Much Ado About Nothing at the Delacorte Theater - I dutifully entered the virtual lottery quite a bit but never won.  I have my fingers crossed that I'll win a ticket for King Lear - it started previews this week and it stars John Lithgow, who I always greatly enjoy.  Let's all cross our fingers that I win tickets, shall we?  More good energy out into the universe is always a good idea.

I've seen three other productions of Lear in the past few years.  I thought it might be fun to post those reviews, since the productions came pre-blog.  Of course, now this blog post will be ever so long.  I hope you enjoy reading more about my ideas about King Lear than you ever thought you'd need to know.  And hopefully I'll be adding one more review to this list before the run at the Delacorte closes...


(from 2006)  I went to the matinee yesterday of King Lear, with Andre de Shields as Lear, at the Classical Theatre of Harlem.  I enjoyed the production very much.  I had never been to this space before and I thought the director did an excellent job of staging the often-unwieldy text in a very limited playing area.  Even the audience got in on some of the action (some of it worked, some of it didn’t).  I also liked many of the directorial touches, which helped to tell the story briskly and interestingly, but didn’t impose any false theatricality on the production. 


On the whole, I thought the acting was very good.  Everyone knew what they were saying and spoke very well.  I wasn’t fond of the gentleman playing Kent, but he at least also knew what he was saying and told his story well.  He just got a little carried away at times, especially during the storm scene before he whisks Lear off to Dover.  He was actually a little bit terrifying.  Albany got a little carried away himself, especially in his last scene.  You could just see his actor subtext:  ‘oh boy!  I finally have a big scene!  I’m going to ACT now!!’  But, in a way, it worked for a character who is described as being a milksop at the beginning but now finds he has the answers to everything in his hands.  Andre was a little over-the-top at times as well, but again, since the story was being served, it didn’t bother me in the least.  He even has a nude scene which was very striking in its power, yet over-the-top at the same time.  Andre is instrinsically regal, so he made a fine king.  (I found this photo on the internet without a photo credit - I will remove it if so asked.)

I really enjoyed the kid playing Edmund—instead of the usual cliché playing of Edmund as a moustache-twirling villain, he played him as a charismatic, funny, sexy bad boy, who got carried away by his physical effect on people and by the disappointment he felt at the rejection by his father.  It was a very interesting take on the character, I thought.  His father was played, interestingly enough, by Ted Lange, of Love Boat fame.  I thought he underplayed the role a bit much, but again was clear and direct in his speech and intention, so it was fine.  And the scene where Gloucester gets his eyes gouged out:  wow.  Really gross.  And really effective.  The sisters were also really good, though I thought Cordelia was a little too affected in her first scene.  But I was very moved by her last couple of scenes with Lear and the end choked me up.

I really liked the Afro-Caribbean touches, from the tribal costumes to the music/drums used throughout the play.  The opening scene in the court was just terrific.  The set was mainly platforms that they moved around throughout the play, to especially great effect in the scene where Regan and Goneril are both rejecting Lear and he has realized what he has done.  Oh, and the guy playing the Fool was super.  He came out and I thought, ‘wow, did Backstage put out an ad calling for really odd-looking guys to come audition?  This guy looked like he should be playing the Fool all the time!’  But then, during curtain call, I had to really look to find the guy.  He looked completely different!  So some really good physical work from him.  I’m going to keep my eye on a lot of these actors.  I’m also really thinking about heading up to their production of Marat/Sade in the spring.  It will definitely be interesting.  I say if you like Lear, which is admittedly an acquired taste, you should go.

*

(from 2007)  Saturday night I saw King Lear at the Public.  I should point out that not only is one of my (imaginary) boyfriends, Michael Cerveris, in the show, but it stars my very first (imaginary) boyfriend, Kevin Kline!  He and I started dating in the early ‘80s, when Sophie’s Choice and Pirates of Penzance were released.  I even had a scrapbook!  I know, I know.  I’m just on this side of the stalker thing…

Anyway, the show is not completely successful.  After seeing the vital and locomotive production that was done early this season at the Classical Theatre of Harlem, this one seems even more anemic.  If nothing else, shouldn’t Lear be a visceral experience?  This one was entirely too reasonable.





photo credit: Sara Krulwich
It was, of course, beautifully spoken by Kevin.  There are very few more pleasurable experiences than listening to him reason his way through Shakespeare.  But I’m not sure that reasoning your way through Lear is quite the way to go.  I will admit I was moved at the end by his gentle befuddlement at being with Cordelia again, and I did appreciate his incorporating a heart problem throughout the entire play, so that it mitigated his quite virile appearance.  But, with a man so reasonable, why is there even a play?  What made this man decide to have his daughters tell him who loved him most?  I don’t see where that came from at all, and so…there’s no reason to have the play.  In my humble opinion.  I think I’ll blame the director.  I mean, he did have wonderful actors, so he perhaps let them down. 


Cerveris is quite good as Kent and Larry Bryggman as Gloucester is excellent.  He generally is.  Pretty boy Logan Marshall-Green had some good moments as Edmund, though he underplays a bit too much.  I mean, come on, Edmund is NOT subtle!  Hello!  Read the script! 

The daughters?  I really haven’t the faintest idea what they were doing.  They were all dewy-eyed and crying through most of their scenes.  Really?  Regan cries and feels remorseful for everything she does?  I don’t really see that.  I guess it’s an interesting idea, but it didn’t work for me.  Plus, the gal playing Regan had a stuffy nose the entire show from crying all the time.  Iambic pentameter spoken through a stuffy nose—not so attractive.  And the gal playing Cordelia, though lovely, did not seem to be comfortable onstage.  Someone needs to teach her what to do with her hands.  Preferably not ringing them constantly.

Maybe I’m too hard on them.  You know me, I take master classes with teachers from the RSC and suddenly consider myself an expert.  But, you know, some of the stuff I learned really just makes common sense.  For instance, if someone takes the time to write a particular word or phrase six or seven times in one speech, doesn’t it make sense that it’s an important word/phrase?  And perhaps should be stressed for its importance?  I don’t know.  Perhaps I expect too much.

*

(from 2011)  Hi, everybody!  I went last weekend to a preview of King Lear, starring Sam Waterston, at the Public Theater.  My, the renovations at the Public are amazing!  Having more than three bathroom stalls was almost a religious experience!! 

Anyway, the show.  I’m a bit at a loss about how to describe it.  I reasonably enjoyed myself and think it’s a perfectly fine production of Lear.  I thought most of the actors were quite good, and the action was quickly-paced and very clear.  But there wasn’t much resonance for me and I’m struggling to figure out why.

Maybe it was the space—the show is in the Martinson, which is the really long theater downstairs with a very shallow playing area.  It seemed like there was never enough room and everyone was on the stage at the same time, whether they were in the same scene or not.

Maybe it was the set (such as it was)—I didn’t enjoy, in the extreme, the chain link curtain that was used as the prominent set piece.  It looked cool at first, but as each scene was played, after the actor came in and out through the curtain, it would rock back and forth and continue to ‘clink clink clink’ throughout the scene.  It started to become very distracting.  The curtain was on a track and would move forward or back, depending on how much playing space was needed at the front.  Clink clink clink.  Then (and here comes a staging spoiler), during the storm scene, it all came crashing down.  Well, ok, that was pretty interesting, for a minute, but I don’t think it justified all the annoyance throughout the first act.

Maybe it was the placement of the intermission—I don’t remember seeing a Lear with the intermission after the blinding of Gloucester.  That seems really late in the game to me.  The first act was a tad over two hours, then we had a little over an hour left in the second act.  I didn’t really think the show felt too long, but…I don’t know.  And if that’s where the intermission usually is, well, perhaps it just didn’t work for me this time.

Maybe it was the direction:  I think maybe the first act was paced TOO quickly.  Everything kept racing along and it was hard to develop a relationship or even any feeling about anything, it was all happening so fast.  I realize that when you have a two hour plus first act, things need to move, but this really sped by.  It almost became comic (and the audience did start laughing at pretty inappropriate moments).  The second act was a bit more leisurely, and I could start to empathize with all the horrible things that happen, but I think by then, I hadn’t been engaged enough to REALLY feel.
 





photo credit: Joan Marcus
I did think Sam Waterston was terrific.  His first entrance is wonderful and sets up the character beautifully.  His gradual diminishment as the play progresses is done very well.  Michael McKean, as Gloucester, was also grand.  I would say the one very moving moment for me was between Waterston and McKean, towards the end of the play.  Really lovely.  I wish there were more such moments.  John Douglas Thompson was wise and warm as Kent, Arian Moayed (who I loved in Bengal Tiger) was very good as Edgar, though he had some wacky staging to contend with.  I thought all three ladies were fine, but the young gal playing Cordelia has some posture issues (what IS it with young actresses and slouching?!?!), so it made her opening costume look quite unfortunate.  I think there’s a fine Fool in Bill Irwin, but I had a really hard time understanding what he was saying.  He seemed to be mumbling and swallowing his words a lot, so it became difficult to catch his dialogue.  I will say he had wonderful chemistry with Sam Waterston, so they had some nice moments together.  I just wish I could’ve understood him more.  The Fool does have some wonderful dialogue.  Oh well.


I feel like I complained a lot, and I honestly did enjoy myself.  I just wish I had liked it more.  Is it possible to enjoy a production but not really like it?  If so, I think that’s what happened here.  Maybe after more performances, it will take off.  I hope so.

No comments:

Post a Comment