Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Thoughts on Rocky and The Correspondent

I have been writing so much for work and for other people that my brain just couldn't get into blog mode.  Sorry about that.  I'm seeing a couple of shows later this week so I thought I'd clear the backlog in my brain.  For some reason, I've also been reluctant to write about these pieces, but I don't know why...


A couple of weeks ago, I saw the first preview of the new Broadway musical Rocky.  I was looking forward to it, both as a fan of the film and as a HUGE fan of the composing team.  I ordinarily don't seek out first previews, but because they had to postpone their original first preview due to technical issues, that's what I got.

It was so exciting to be in such an enthusiastic crowd!  Everyone seemed to be there to support and cheer on the cast and creative team - it was a wonderful atmosphere.  I think the show has heart, some wonderful performances and some dazzling direction/technology.  I also think the show will be an enormous success, mainly due to the fact that the audience is sent out on an extreme high after the fantastic final scenes.  I won't mention any spoilers here, but the stage craft is first rate and was occasionally quite thrilling.  I think the word of mouth from satisfied customers will sell tickets from here to eternity.

Did I love the show?  Not as much as I wanted to.  I totally take into account that I saw the first preview, which is often tentative.  And I think I went in with the wrong expectations - I expected an Ahrens and Flaherty musical which just happened to be Rocky.  Instead, I got a Rocky musical, swashbuckingly directed with lots of bells and whistles, with Ahrens and Flaherty music.  So the wrong expectation thing is totally my fault and I need to go back to see the show, now that I know what to expect, and experience it the right way.  I'm looking forward to going back and trying again.  Oh, and the photo at right?  There was a special surprise guest at the end!  The original Rocky Balboa himself came out and the crowd went wild!  I admit, I got a little excited myself!  I did not take this picture (no cameras or photography in the theater, hello, I follow the rules), but I did borrow one from the official Rocky Twitter account.  I will remove the photo if someone asks.  :) 


Last week, I saw the new play at the Rattlestick, The Correspondent, by Ken Urban.  I know Ken a bit - our paths have crossed in the past.  I was happy to see his play get such a fine production at Rattlestick.  The acting was mainly very solid (well, I didn't love one of the actors, oh well) and I was engaged throughout.  If I found the play as a whole unsatisfying, well, I can't quite put my finger on why. 

I thought the play was well set-up and the opening scene was very intriguing - a man who has recently lost his wife has secured the services of a dying woman to deliver a message to heaven (apparently, this is a real service - who knew?!).  As he tries to gather his thoughts and pass along the message, you see this man is in extreme pain from grief and guilt over his wife's death.  How far to the extreme in this grief and guilt he goes is the rest of the play.

In each scene, I thought a very interesting world or idea was set up and it made sense.  But then, as each scene progressd, the rules of that world were broken.  And if that was the point?  That the world changes with every scene?  I don't see the ultimate point of that.  I wanted to, but I didn't.  I was on board for all the twists and turns, and I like mysticism, or magic, or surrealism, but the twists and turns ultimated confused me, as did the occasionally stilted and stylized dialogue.  Being confused isn't a bad thing, I guess, but it was unsatisfying for me.  Well-done, but unsatisfying.  It was good to spend time with a handsome chum, though, even if only for a short evening.

One last mention:  I've been swamped with work on an event we produce annually.  It's a labor of love and a labor of angst for me every year.  I so want the evening to be perfect for everyone and I pretty much drive myself (and all my co-workers) crazy through the planning process.  We finally had the event last Monday and I think it did go well.  It's always inspiring to me to hear people talk about their heroes and then the heroes talk about their lives and their gratitude.  It was a lovely evening and I'm finally able to exhale.  I only mention this so I can include this lovely photo of me and one of MY heroes, John Guare, who gave the most extraordinary acceptance speech.  I always knew he would, and like always, he didn't let me down...

No comments:

Post a Comment