Thursday, December 19, 2013

Review - A Christmas Story

 

Last year, I caught an early preview of the new Broadway musical based on the movie A Christmas Story.  Because it was an early preview, AND because the score was written by two friends of mine, I didn't really review it.  I saw the show last night and I may not actually be able to review it now, since we all know I have no perspective, but I'll give it a try.  :)
 
Photo credit: Carol Rosegg
I really enjoyed seeing A Christmas Story last year.  I thought the score was very tuneful and the book was a good representation of the film script.  I think all of the creators have captured the spirit of the movie and also brought their own unique sensibilities into the musical.  It's a sweet, gentle show about the magic of Christmas and family.  I'll admit to getting misty when Ralphie first sang about his dream gift, the Red Ryder BB gun.  And I got a little misty again every time I heard the particular musical phrase that represented when Ralphie was thinking of the praise he'd get from his father ("that's my son!").  And the big production number "Ralphie to the Rescue" is one of my favorite theater songs of recent years.  I admit to playing it on repeat on my iThing.  A Christmas Story is just a well-crafted, big-hearted, almost old-fashioned piece of Broadway.  I'm a big fan.  


This year, however, they're doing the show at the Theater at Madison Square Garden.  Wow.  That place is BIG.  I've only been there a couple of times before - I know my mom and I saw the Menken/Ahrens Christmas Carol musical there, and I may have seen a Barry Manilow concert there as well.  I don't remember being so far back when I saw those earlier shows.  I was in Row Y last night and, again, wow.  It was pretty far back.  I mean, the musical itself played in a large enough way that I enjoyed it all over again, but the sound mix was pretty bad at times in the back and I couldn't really see the actors' faces (of course, that could be because my eyesight is so bad; I found myself wishing for my binoculars).  Also, even though the crowd was enthusiastic with their applause, because there were so many of us and we were all so spread out, the sound of applause didn't echo throughout the room.  It didn't really feel like a communal theatrical experience.  I felt very isolated, which I didn't enjoy quite so much.

But I guess you have to take the bad with the good.  I'd rather have seen the show at MSG than not have seen it at all.  Overall, I had a grand time and the kids in the crowd were eating the show up, even from all the way in the back.  The little girl in front of me had the most delicious giggle and she found the character of the Old Man to just be hysterical.  Her sister tried to shush her laughter, but I found it adorable. 



Photo credit: Carol Rosegg
John Bolton as the Old Man was worthy of all her giggling.  He has honed his performance into a master class of pratfalls, slow takes and gruff exterior/marshmallow interior.  I loved him.  Erin Dilly was a lot more distinctive last night than what I remember from last year - instead of just a rather generic level-headed mom, she also had a little bit of the family wackadoo about her.  And speaking of comic timing, her bit with the young boy playing her youngest son and putting on the snowsuit was genius.  The boy playing Ralphie this year, Jake Lucas, was adorable without being cutesy.  He really carries this big Broadway musical on his shoulders and did a fine job with it.  I didn't quite see the same simpatico between him and Dan Lauria, who plays the narrator, that I saw last year, but that's ok.  Caroline O'Connor was a riot as Miss Shields, the schoolteacher, and her performances in both the big fantasy production numbers were terrific.  She's especially fantastic in "You'll Shoot Your Eye Out," with the amazing tap-dancing Luke Spring, along with all of the incredibly talented kids in the cast.  
 
Photo credit: Carol Rosegg
As I said earlier, the whole audience seemed to be having a great time.  So I was surprised when literally hundreds of people got up to leave during the last song, before the curtain calls.  I know that there are people who leave shows as quickly as they can, to catch a train, but this was crazy.  I'm not exaggerating.  HUNDREDS of people got up to leave.  I don't get it.  Do they look at their program to see the title of the last song?  Can they really not catch the next train?  It was crazy.  So I guess the hugeness of the theater was a good thing, so the cast couldn't see all those people leaving, but I was perturbed.  It bothers me enough when I'm at a Broadway show or at the ballet, but this was extreme.  I wonder if last night was an anomaly...

This show had me at hello, especially because of its vibrant overture, but of course I'm predisposed to enjoy a show with a score by Benj & Justin, because I love them so much.  I'm so looking forward to what they bring us next.  And I really hope that A Christmas Story becomes a yearly tradition.  I could definitely use another souvenir.  But, please, next year, put them back at a Broadway theater.  That's where they belong...

No comments:

Post a Comment