Saturday, June 8, 2013

My Tony Predictions

Well, when I posted my Tony nomination thoughts, I voted from the heart.  And what did that get me?  A very low percentage of correct choices.  So, now, here are my predictions for some of the Tony winners (and if I vote with my heart again...so what?!).  Besides, I always like to have the opportunity to post pictures of myself with Tony nominees...

BEST PLAY

My prediction:  Vanya and Sonya and Masha and Spike, Christopher Durang
My wish:  The Testament of Mary, Colm Toibin
(mainly because I still haven't seen Chris Durang's play.  I hope to rectify that soon.  I'll be very happy if he wins, though.  He's a terrific guy.) 

BEST MUSICAL

My prediction:  Matilda
My wish: A Christmas Story
(ok, I wished with my heart.  sue me.)

BEST SCORE OF A MUSICAL

My prediction: Cyndi Lauper, Kinky Boots
My wish:  Benj Pasek and Justin Paul, A Christmas Story
(hello.  I've had my picture taken with them.  A lot.  I love them.  And I loved this score.  "Ralphie To The Rescue" is one of my favorite new songs!) 




BEST REVIVAL OF A PLAY

My prediction (and wish): Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?
(seriously, people, this MUST win, though I greatly enjoyed three out of the four nominees.  I'm just annoyed I can't find the picture of me and Mr. Albee at the Broadway Cares Flea Market.)

BEST REVIVAL OF A MUSICAL

My prediction:  Pippin
My wish:  The Mystery of Edwin Drood
(I haven't seen Pippin and I thought Drood was a bundle of fun)

BEST ACTOR IN A PLAY

My prediction:  Tom Hanks, Lucky Guy
My wish:  Tracy Letts, Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?
(I always enjoy Mr. Tom Hanks, and I hope he comes back to Broadway soon, but I thought Letts was a revelation in Woolf.  He found things in that fantastic script that I had never heard before.  I had chills many times, thanks to his brilliance.)

BEST ACTRESS IN A PLAY

My prediction:  Cicely Tyson, The Trip to Bountiful
My wish: Laurie Metcalf,  The Other Place
(I loved Tyson, and I'll be supremely moved if she wins, but I just thought Metcalf brought so much to that role.  She gave one of those performances where you think - who else can play that part?)

BEST FEATURED ACTOR IN A PLAY

My prediction:  Richard Kind, The Big Knife
My wish:  Tony Shalhoub, Golden Boy
(Kind has won most of the other awards, so I went with him.  This is really a pick-em category.  Every performance was top-notch.  I just was so moved by Shalhoub)

BEST FEATURED ACTRESS IN A PLAY

My prediction:  Condola Rashad, The Trip to Bountiful
My wish:  Judith Ivey, The Heiress
(Ivey made that production sing when the leads didn't.  And I'm probably going out on a limb, picking Rashad to win.  I just get the feeling that voters are itching to honor her)

Since I saw so few Broadway musicals this season, I truly can't even venture a guess or a wish for any other categories.  Though I've loved Billy Porter in so many things over the years, I'd be thrilled if he took home a Tony.  And if I'm unqualified to predict the above awards, I'm even more inept at predicting design awards.  However, I would like to put in a plug for Santo Loquasto's set for The Assembled Parties.  It was so stunning, it was another character in the play.

I'm looking forward to this year's broadcast and hope it escapes the fate of the last few years of lacking excitement.  That's my real wish:  excitement.  That a kid sees one of the musical numbers and thinks, "Wow!  How do I get to do that?!"  Like what happened with me when I saw the Tony performances from the original cast of Evita...




No comments:

Post a Comment