Thursday, February 14, 2013

Thoughts on Talley's Folly

I was very fortunate to get a ticket to an early preview of the Roundabout Theatre's revival of Talley's Folly.  I believe I've mentioned once or twice (or 130 times) how much I love Lanford Wilson's plays.  I just find his dialogue so lovely and poetic, and his characters so rich and real.  Those wonderful qualities are definitely on display at the Laura Pels Theatre.  I won't really review the show, because it just started previews last week and it wouldn't be fair.  I'll just make a few observations.

I've actually never seen this play performed before, though I've read it dozens of times over the years and almost performed it many years ago with an old beau.  I totally should've done this role in my actress-days.  But it was nice to hear so much loveliness.  For an early preview, the show is in really good shape.  If I wasn't as taken with Sarah Paulson as Sally as I was with Danny Burstein's Matt, well, I have a strong feeling they'll be on more equal footing by the time the show opens.  And I totally have to go back.


There's such recognizable longing and humor in this show, but ripples of fear, too - how can I take a chance on loving this other person?  Are they worthy?  Am I?  It's all so identifiable and relatable.  And, ultimately, romantic.  Matt even calls the show a 'valentine,' so it's perfect to see Talley's Folly this time of year.  I was truly hanging on every word - even though I knew all of the plot points, I still was breathless with the revelations spilling out.

I didn't love the set and I think the lighting could've been more magical, but that theater space is complicated and maybe there's a limit to what could be done.  I was sad that the theater was nowhere near full, though that's probably why my ticket was in the fifth row center, which was fantastic.  Except for the woman sitting next to me who asked "Are you here alone?"  Oh my.  Thankfully, the gent on her other side started talking to her about the original production with Judd Hirsch and she forgot all about me.  Oh, and there was a pre-show talk about Lanford and his Talley trilogy, which was quite interesting.  I'll have to remember to check from now on when those talks are happening; the gent who presents them is quite engaging.

I enjoyed myself immensely and recommend everyone go check out this lovely, gentle play.  Any opportunity to see a revival of Lanford Wilson's work is worth a look, in my opinion.  I'm so happy I'll be seeing another one of his plays in a few weeks at my second home, Signature Theatre! 

No comments:

Post a Comment