Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Review - Ragtime concert


I love Ragtime.  I think it's a wonderful wonderful show - so moving and vibrant.  I loved the original production and ADORED the recent revival.  I listen to the cast album all the time.  I pretty much start crying at the first piano notes and don't stop until after I get home.  I think the opening number is one of the best, if not THE best, opening number ever.  I get chills just thinking about it, let alone watching it.  Having said all that, for some reason, I wasn't going to buy a ticket for the Manhattan Concert Productions' special one-night-only concert version of Ragtime until I saw the last press release with the full cast list.  OH.MY.GOD.  What an amazing cast.  I knew then I couldn't stay away.  So I gathered some pennies together and sat pretty far back, but who cares?  I was in that room!!!
 
It may have been freezing outside, but it was warm and toasty inside Avery Fisher Hall - not just temperature-wise, but audience-wise, too.  Everyone there was so excited to be there and the excitement was palpable.  I was in line behind two very young guys who love the show; we had a very nice conversation about the strengths of the different casts.  The audience seemed to be very diverse, with a lot of young people throughout the house.  That's always nice to see.  Seat neighbor report:  the guy sitting on one side of me slept through most of the evening (?!) and the gal on the other side of me was wearing a perfume that can only charitably be described as bugspray-like.  Blech.  But at least everyone sat back in their seats, left their phones off, and enjoyed the concert just like me.
 
One of the things that excited me the most?  When the conductor came out to get the show started.  The conductor, Sheilah Walker, is an African-American woman.  How thrilling to see her conduct that orchestra and all those voices (there was a huge choir, maybe 100 singers?  grand).  I guess it was doubly meaningful to me that she was in charge, though it's sad she's still such a rarity so many years after this show takes place.  Thumbs way up for Sheilah Walker.
 

Again, from the very first notes of the piano, I was enthralled.  I had tears in my eyes at the opening number - it's just so perfect.  It sets up the stories and the musical motifs beautifully, and it packs an emotional wallop.  Quite a feat for the beginning eight minutes of a musical.  Don't believe me?  Go to YouTube.  Everyone in the cast was wonderful; it was like a who's who of American musical theater.  I think Broadwayworld.com has a video of this concert's opening number, so take a look, if you enjoy great music and great performers.  And an enthusiastic respectful crowd.  :)
Lea Salonga was a gorgeous and grounded Mother (why isn't she on Broadway all the time?!).  She sang beautifully, but also was touching in her book scenes.  Howard McGillin, who I LOVE, was fantastic as Father.  He really showed the entire arc of this character and made you feel such pain.  Of course, he also sang thrillingly, and he had a nice rapport with young Lewis Grosso, who played his son.  Grosso was adorable and captured the otherworldy, yet stereotypical young boy. 
 
I knew I would love Norm Lewis as Coalhouse.  I mean, hello.  Who doesn't love Norm Lewis?  And he did not disappoint in the least.  He was arrogant, sexy, angry, loving.  Seriously great stuff.  And his singing?  Off the charts.  "Make Them Hear You"?  Shut up, it was AMAZING.  Soooooo moving.  Patina Miller was a lovely, touching Sarah and she knocked "Your Daddy's Son" out of the park.  I thought she was terrific.

I could say that about every single cast member, but I think I most enjoyed Tyne Daly as Emma Goldman - she found so many layers and was so moving to me.  I just loved her.  And I was so taken with Jose Llana as Harry Houdini.  I doubt he would play Houdini in a full production, but he took this chance and ran with it!  I thought he was wonderful and found so much in that small-ish part.  But, seriously, everyone was good.  Jarrod Emick was riveting as Willie Conklin.  Manoel Felciano as Tateh was expert, as well.  I could go on and on...
 
I am SO GLAD I was at this concert.  It moved me so much.  I just find it hard to express how much joy and emotion was shared in this one evening.  I've seen (and listened to) Ragtime many times, and I still find new things to cherish in it.  There's such beauty there.  I'm counting the minutes until there can be another revival - this show is so relevant and powerful.  I'm still depressed that the last revival couldn't find an audience.  When (not if) it comes back, it deserves more. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment