Monday, January 14, 2013

More Iron Chefiness


My sister and I have been talking about going to Iron Chef Michael Symon's restaurants for a long time now.  We actually don't make it up to Cleveland very often when I'm home, but this time, we bit the bullet, made a lunch reservation, and finally ate at Lola.  We would've tried Lolita, but they aren't open for lunch.  And, as we all know, lunch is generally less expensive than dinner.  :)   I wish we could've talked our parents into coming, too, but Mom was feeling under-the-weather and Dad already had lunch plans.  But we had a grand sister lunch at a fun restaurant all the same.
Getting there was a bit tricky - the directions off the Open Table website were a bit confusing, but we finally found a parking spot nearby.  It was a rather raw day, but Lola itself was warm and inviting.  It was nicely decorated for the holidays - not too much, just enough to be festive.  I liked the bar up front and the layout of the space was very attractive.  Not offputting or too fancy.  Just right. 

As always, I took a look at the menu beforehand to see what I might want to order.  I settled on the roasted turkey sandwich, with cranberry mostarda and raclette cheese.  Don't tell the vegetarian police, please.  I wanted to have something delicious, but not too big, so I could try a dessert as well.  I'm a planner, what can I say.  Oh, first I ordered a glass of malbec.  I do love a glass of malbec.  My sister got a glass of white wine and we suddenly became ladies who lunch.  la la la

The service was very pleasant and not hurried at all.  By the time we got there, the busiest lunch rush was probably over, and we enjoyed a leisurely atmosphere until we were through.  They stop serving lunch at 2:30, but we didn't feel as if they wanted us to hurry and leave, so that was nice.  We ate at our own pace and enjoyed ourselves.

The roasted turkey sandwich was spectacular!  It was served on a sourdough bread, which was just the right texture for the sandwich.  The balance between the turkey, the cheese, the argula and the cranberry mostarda was perfect.  And I could've eaten that cranberry mostarda all day.  If they had been selling it up front, I would've bought it.  It was delicious.  Tart, sweet, savory - yummy.  That was one seriously delicious sandwich.  My sister also greatly enjoyed her grilled cheese, which had apples and carmelized onions on it (she let me sneak a taste - it was yummy!!).  We also loved the shoestring fries with a touch of rosemary dusted on them.  There's nothing like a good shoestring fry.  :)

Of course, even though I had wanted to try dessert, that sandwich was very substantial and I couldn't stop eating it.  So, I didn't get a dessert, but I did get the almond cappuccino, which was served with a little biscotti.  It was delicious and the perfect sweet ending to the meal.  My sister got the butterscotch latte and she said it was great, too.  Next time I go, though, I do want to try one of their delicious sounding tarts or creme brulees... 
So, thumbs WAY up for Michael Symon's Lola.  It was rather like the image I have of Michael Symon - fun and unpretentious, with big-flavored food.  We can't wait to go back and try other things on the menu.  And now that we know how to get there, we'll definitely be going back.  I'm already starting to think about the next Iron Chef/Top Chef restaurant to try... :)
 




 

No comments:

Post a Comment