Saturday, December 15, 2012

Review - A Christmas Carol

Dickens' A Christmas Carol is one of my very favorite stories in the whole world.  It's so moving and uplifting.  And I love almost all of the movie and tv movie adaptations.  I even love The Muppets Christmas Carol (hey, Paul Williams wrote some good songs!)  I wore out my cassette tape version of Patrick Stewart's one-man version.  So, naturally, I'm predisposed to enjoy a new stage version.

I've been lucky enough to see my friend Kevin Jones' one-man version of A Christmas Carol a couple of times already - he's done some small gatherings and working sessions to try to hone the piece to its ultimate best.  Each evening was better than the last, and I must say, last night's Off-Broadway production at Theatre Row's Studio Theatre, produced by the Summoners Ensemble Theatre, was the best yet. 

I love the way Kevin (he adapted the script with Dr. Rhonda Dodd) savors the sterling literary qualities in Dickens' story - he doesn't need to muck with anything because the beauty and emotion are right there in the original text.  Kevin plays dozens of characters and differentiates between them beautifully.  You feel as if you've spent the evening with several actors instead of one.  Each character has unique qualities - Jacob Marley was terrifying and guilt-ridden, the Cratchits were loving and warm-hearted, and Scrooge was actually a little bit charming.  He was one of those old guys who find themselves funny (though no one else does) and I just knew him immediately.  I loved it.  There was also a terrific balance between characters and narration. 

Putting the script together, I think Kevin wisely chose where to cut and where to keep text, to make the show as lean and moving as possible.  I also think he quite smartly included a bit of humor, to keep the audience (and himself!) on their toes.  There's a rise and fall and build of emotion throughout.  It's really really expertly done.

Clearly, I went into the theater last night predisposed to enjoy myself.  I love Kevin and I love A Christmas Carol.  What I didn't expect was to be so monumentally moved - more than usual, in fact.  Seeing a story that starts with a character with a real lack of empathy, along with dying children, was far more touching after the tragic events yesterday.  There were moments that were almost unbearably charged with emotion that was pre-existing in the text, yes, but were compounded by the sadness I brought with me.  And the characters Ignorance and Want took on even greater profound qualities.  Scrooge's redemption was so earned, and Dickens' humanity was so necessary.  When theater and life come together like that, it's a beautiful thing, though obviously I'd rather have it happen without a real-life tragedy.

I know that Kevin, and Summoners Ensemble, are hoping to make this an annual event, and even to tour the show around.  I'll be doing my part to get the word out.  It's fantastic and you should keep your eyes open for when it comes back...

No comments:

Post a Comment