Thursday, September 13, 2012

Review - Enemy of the People

I had a benign dream the other night that featured Richard Thomas.  Perhaps I've been watching too many repeats of The Waltons.  But, anyway, in the dream, I was at a theater and he came out to greet all of the patrons to thank them for coming to see him in the show.  I figured this was a sign to get a TDF ticket to see Enemy of the People.  And maybe Richard Thomas would thank me for coming.  :) 
 
I've read Enemy of the People a bit over the years, but have never seen a production of it.  I'm not so familiar with it, though, to know how loose this adaptation by Rebecca Lenkiewicz is, but my oh my, now is a particularly good time to be doing this play.  It offers a lot of biting commentary about politics, politicians, mob mentality and singlemindedness.  The audience frequently chuckled or gasped with recognition at some dialogue that seemed particularly pertinent to our times.  Thumbs up for Manhattan Theatre Club for adding the play to their season.  Since it's so early in their preview process, though, I don't think I'll be as nitpicky as usual...
 
Boyd Gaines, a theater treasure if there ever was one, plays a brilliant, though perhaps socially inept, doctor who discovers something terrible about the town's water supply.  Richard Thomas is his brother, the mayor of the town.  They play off each other fantastically well and have several combustible scenes that are very exciting.  Richard Thomas is especially good at showing the dual nature of a politician, who will behave one way in private and another way in public.  His almost priggish demeanor in his scenes with his brother turns into silky smooth charisma when he's addressing the town.  The change was quite marvelous.  And Boyd Gaines' passionate railing against the town was very moving - his speech during the town meeting was nearly a master class in acting, reacting and building to a climax.  I loved him - though, truth be told, I generally do.
 
I enjoyed John Procaccino as the newspaper editor very much, and James Waterston (son of Sam) was good as a young revolutionary who perhaps isn't as revolutionary as he first appears.  Gerry Bamman was his usual fine self.  The ladies were fine, especially Kathleen McNenny as Boyd Gaines' wife, and the rest of the townspeople were good as well.
 
I enjoyed the show, on the whole, very much, though I will say the pacing of the production seemed a little unsteady, but they just started their second week of previews, so I will cut some slack.  The play has been cut down, it seems to me, to be a lean two hours, so the fact that there was a lag in some of the scenes was a little bothersome.  The last scene, which must always be tough after that town hall meeting, felt a little wobbly, especially the 'fight.'  I'm sure these are things that will be worked out as previews continue and I expect the play to get very strong reviews.  Boyd Gaines and Richard Thomas are doing wonderful work in an extremely topical play - who wouldn't want to give that a good review?  Never mind.  Don't answer that.
 
I'm very excited about the upcoming theater season and hope to see many wonderful things as the fall stretches on...
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment