Monday, April 30, 2012

My Tony nomination hopes

So...the Tony nominations come out tomorrow morning.  There's always a flurry of activity surrounding the awards time of year - some of it is fun, some of it isn't.  I've already told my Tony nominator friends to please please please keep Venus in Fur in everyone's mind.  With all of the new plays that have opened in the past few weeks, I would hate for it to be left off the Best Play list.  I've already resigned myself to Chinglish being left off the list.  Sigh.  Well, then, goshdarnit, it's going on MY list!!!  :)

Here are my hopes for nominees in just a few categories.  I'm only including productions I've seen this season (for the most part).  I'm sure I'll be more wrong than right, but that's about par for my course.  I thought The Scottsboro Boys was actually going to WIN something last year.  You'll also notice that I just didn't even try to fill musical score or book categories.  I didn't see enough of the musicals, and, well, it also made me too sad...

Best Play
Chinglish
Clybourne Park [ok, I haven't seen the NY production, but I did see it in Chicago, so I'm giving myself some leeway here]
Other Desert Cities
Venus in Fur

Best Musical
[wow.  this is hard.  I didn't love any of the musicals I saw this year.  And I seriously cannot make myself type the words Spider-Man and Best Musical in the same sentence]
Leap of Faith
Newsies

Best Actor in a Play
Hugh Dancy, Venus in Fur
Samuel L Jackson, The Mountaintop
Stacy Keach, Other Desert Cities
Alan Rickman, Seminar

Best Actress in a Play
Nina Arianda, Venus in Fur
Stockard Channing, Other Desert Cities
Tyne Daly, Master Class
Rosemary Harris, Road to Mecca
Linda Lavin, The Lyons
Jennifer Lim, Chinglish
[I know there are six here.  I just couldn't leave anyone off.  I also know there's no chance on God's green earth for two of these nominations, but hello.  It's my list. :)]

Best Featured Actor in a Play
Bill Camp, Death of a Salesman
Michael Cumpsty, End of the Rainbow
Dick Latessa, The Lyons
Thomas Sadoski, Other Desert Cities
Finn Whitrock, Death of a Salesman
[I adore Frank Wood and really want to see him nominated for Clybourne Park, so I'd be happy with any of my choices falling off the list to accommodate Frank]

Best Featured Actress in a Play
Linda Emond, Death of a Salesman
Spencer Kayden, Don't Dress for Dinner
Angela Lansbury, The Best Man [ok, fine, I didn't see this one, but I demand that Angela Lansbury be nominated for anything and everything]
Judith Light, Other Desert Cities
Condola Rashad, Stick Fly

Best Actor in a Musical
Danny Burstein, Follies
Raul Esparza, Leap of Faith
Jeremy Jordan, Newsies
[I'm sure I would put Norm Lewis on this list if I ever see Porgy & Bess...]

Best Actress in a Musical
Jan Maxwell, Follies
Bernadette Peters, Follies
[after these two ladies, I don't really care]

Best Featured Actor in a Musical
Michael Cerveris, Evita
Leslie Odom Jr, Leap of Faith
Patrick Page, Spider-Man: Turn off the Dark

Best Featured Actress in a Musical
Rosalind Elias, Follies
Jayne Houdyshell, Follies
Elaine Page, Follies
Mary Beth Piel, Follies
Terri White, Follies
[I have a one-track mind, obviously]

I'm still trying to think of a way to sneak Charles Busch in here somewhere.  And Chita Rivera.  She did that one-night Actors Fund performance of The Visit that surely should net her some sort of award...  Good luck to everyone.  I'll probably be back tomorrow, complaining about one thing or another!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment