Friday, November 4, 2011

Review - Love's Labour's Lost

Last night, I went downtown to the Public Theater’s lab production of Shakespeare’s Love’s Labour’s Lost (the Public is actually spelling it without the ‘u’, but I think the ‘u’ looks more Shakespearean, don’t you?), and the tickets are only $15.  I think it’s a bargain.  I’ve done several productions of the play, and this particular version is a lot of fun.  With a few caveats, of course.  J

Directed by Karin Coonrod, this is a fast-paced and funny evening, which utilizes practically every inch of the Ahmanson space.  It runs a little over two hours, with no intermission, but the time really flies by.  I probably only felt a drag in the proceedings once, towards the end.  There are many inventive directorial choices and the acting, on the whole, is quite good.

I will say, however, that the production leans on the funny a bit too much, so when the tone changes at the end at the end of the play, there’s nothing really to hang onto and the air floats out of the proceedings.  Not because of the tone of the text, but because the direction isn’t as strong in the serious parts as it was in the comic parts.  In my opinion, of course.  And I will say that, although I thought the boy playing Berowne delivered his dialogue most attractively, the way he clomped around like Herman Munster worked my last nerve.  The loud thudding was very annoying.  I also thought some of the clowns went a little too far, and I really didn’t enjoy the contemporary ad-libs.  I guess I’m a Shakespeare purist.  So shoot me.

I loved the boys playing Longaville and Dumaine, and the gent playing Ferdinand was regal and silly and fun, with a gorgeous speaking (and singing!) voice.  Plus, he looks tres attractive in his costumes.  ;)    All of the ladies were quite fine, with a special shout-out to the spitfire who played the wench Jaquenetta.  She was a riot, yet very real and specific.  I liked her.

I don’t know why this particular play isn’t performed as often as the other comedies—it’s quite funny and has some lovely speeches about love and the battle of the sexes.  I enjoy it and am always happy to check out a production.  This one, even with my quibbling, is well worth the viewing.

No comments:

Post a Comment