Saturday, June 4, 2011

ABT - Giselle plus some French Open thoughts

Ballet #3 on my ABT subscription this year was Giselle, one of my uber-favorites.  It's goopy and romantic and sad and I just love it.  I love all the choreography and the positions sustained by the gal playing Giselle.  I've seen it quite a few times, and I believe most of the time, I've seen Julie Kent dance Giselle.  I find Julie heartbreaking in the part and think her delicacy is so well suited to the role.  But this time I saw Diane Vishneva dance it.  I thought she was wonderful.  I especially loved her in the first act as the love-struck girl.  She had a buoyancy that seemed perfect to me.  And her mad scene was amazing.  I think it was even better than Julie's (Julie is generally my standard of excellence for a ballerina).  If I prefer Julie in the second act, I think it's because her physical persona is more ethereal, whereas Vishneva is more earthy.  Which is a valid interpretation, but my personal preference is ethereal.  But technically, Vishneva is gorgeous.  And her connection with her Albrecht, Marcelo Gomes, was palpable.  Gomes was spectacular as Albrecht.  Charming, virile, yum yummy--he has it all.  He definitely has 'lift' - I love a guy with such elevation.  He was very moving during the mad scene; it's always such a nice bonus to see good acting along with good dancing.  That doesn't always happen.  For example, the guy playing Hilarion, the rival for Giselle's affection, was Gennadi Saveliev.  His dancing was spectacular in the 'death by dancing' scene.  His acting/miming in the first scene was kind of a little bit terrible.

Oh, and another fantabulous aspect of Vishneva's performance?  Her curtain call.  It was truly worth the price of admission.  It, in fact, may be the best curtain call I've seen since Betty Buckley's in Sunset Boulevard.  Truly grand and crazy and out of proportion--LOVED IT!!  :)  

Next ballet, the new one, Bright Stream.  I've purposely avoided the reviews and preview articles so I can go in with no expectations.  I was looking at my tickets, though, and I notice I actually don't have any performances featuring Julie Kent, so I may see if I can get a balcony seat for Monday night's performance.  I have to see her at least once a season...

French Open thoughts--I have loved waking up every morning and watching live tennis.  Love love it.  I'll be sorry when the tournament is over.  I'm ever so happy that Schiavone made the finals again, though I admit I'm rooting for Li Na.  I will also admit to shedding a few tears when my darling Roger won against Djokovic.  I just hope he can resurrect a little more magic in the finals.  Please???

No comments:

Post a Comment