Saturday, May 7, 2011

Comfort and Almond Joy

I've been all about comfort things since all of my surgical adventures; it's probably not the best way to keep myself in shape and healthy, but it's been a way to soothe myself.  Comfort food (I've discovered Pepperidge Farm cookies, which helps explain why losing weight has become more necessary daily), comfort music (Broadway musicals and classical music that makes me smile), comfort tv (hello, Little House and Golden Girls!), and comfort reading.  I LOVE my new Nook that my parents got me for Christmas!  I love finding all sorts of books I read as a kid and early teen, downloading them for really cheap, and reading them on the subway.  I'm sure they're not causing my brain synapses to fire like they maybe should, but they're triggering a happy response that makes pain and discomfort a little easier and pushes the self-pity a little further away.  I just re-read Harriet the Spy for the first time in years; I don't re-read it like I do A Tree Grows in Brooklyn or Little Women.  But I remember loving it as a ten-year-old and being disappointed with the movie (which my mom and I watched in the hotel during post-surgery fire disaster).  Reading it as an aunt with an eleven-year-old nephew made the book a totally different experience.  Consequences for actions stood out brightly.  The thing I thought about most, though, was that the thoughts Harriet jotted down in her journal seemed exactly like my writing thoughts in a blog!  Hmmmm.  Maybe I'll start with two sentence impressions of people around me to be more like Harriet:  "why is that elderly woman trying to jump the subway turnstiles?  is she broke?  a former gymnast?  must ponder..."    :)

I'm reading Anne of Green Gables right now.  Boy, did they use a lot of direct text from the book for the mini-series with Colleen Dewhurst.  Not that there's anything wrong with that.  And, hey, why aren't the Little House books available on Nook?????

No comments:

Post a Comment