Monday, June 24, 2013

ABT 2013 - Swan Lake, times two


We're winding down to the end of ballet season, darn it, and I decided I needed a little extra beauty.  Because of my recent trip to Chicago, I exchanged my regular ticket to Swan Lake for one Friday night.  I was looking forward to it, since audience favorite Herman Cornejo was dancing Siegfried, with Alina Cojocaru as Odette/Odile.  Then I saw that my uber-favorite ballerina, Julie Kent, was dancing the Saturday matinee with Mr. Perfection, Marcelo Gomes, so yes, I picked up an extra ticket for that one as well.  May I just say I ADORED my weekend immersion into Swan Lake.

Friday night, there was a cast change - Alina Cojocaru was injured, so she was replaced by a guest artist from the San Francisco Ballet, Maria Kochetkova.  I was disappointed not to have seen Alina, I loved her in Sleeping Beauty a couple of years ago.  But it's always fun to see someone new, too.  Herman Cornejo was a fantastic Siegfried - he was boyish and fun in the beginning, as if he hasn't quite accepted his responsibility as prince.  When he danced, he danced for himself and not for his subjects.  But I felt like, for the first time, I understood why he had to leave the party in the first act and head for the swans.  As life swirled around him, he finally realized he didn't want to be alone.  And his disinterest in his crossbow gift from his mother was another interesting (and different) choice.  I just thought his acting was outstanding and completely equalled his spectacular dancing.  No one jumps and spins like Cornejo.  He was an attentive partner to his Odette/Odile, as well.
 

I enjoyed Maria Kochetkova, though she didn't really stand out to me.  Her technique is perfect and she was very musical and engaging.  But she also seemed a little careful and tentative, which makes sense since she was dancing with ABT for the first time.  But it took some of the excitement out of the pas de deux.  I wasn't as excited or moved by the ballet as a whole as I wanted to be.  Oh well.  At least I had another one to look forward to.  As for the other dancers, I was very taken with Joseph Gorak again - he was a sunny and open-hearted Benno and was lovely in the pas de trois.  But one of the gals of the trio had an unfortunate habit of dancing a little too perkily.  All I kept thinking was "don't pop your head, Cassie!"  Which is never what you want to be thinking during a ballet.  :)  I enjoyed Jared Matthews as Purple Rothbart very much and thought Sarah Lane as the Spanish Princess was exquisite.  The swans were lovely and in unison and the cygnets garnered much applause.  So, all in all, it was an enjoyable evening, just not a transcendent one.

The transcendence came on Saturday afternoon.  Julie Kent and Marcelo Gomes gave me a Swan Lake I'll never forget.  (both these photos were borrowed from the internet)  I was swooning and crying throughout - the dancing and the acting and the music and the emotion was nearly overwhelming.  I was almost sobbing at the end (much to the chagrin of my seat neighbor who was clearly only there to get to third base with his young date). 
Whatever diminishment there is in Julie's technique is more than made up for with her complete and total commitment to musicality and characterization.  I have seriously never seen a ballerina so in touch with her 'swan' side before.  Her arms and back were breathtaking and I swear I saw the moment she turned back into a swan.  I'm actually getting a little teary just writing this, she was so beautiful.  And Marcelo was, of course, the perfect partner for her.  Princely, gentle yet virile, with spectacular dancing.  He is the real deal.  Their first pas de deux was so gorgeous - it had all the emotion I was looking for.  The complete and utter commitment to each step and to each other, done to its absolute fullest, yet with no disconnect from characterization.  It was glorious. 
 

And I'll admit to being a little worried beforehand about the Black Swan pas de deux, but I needn't have worried.  Julie's acting again carried the day, plus her dancing was fast and focused.  She was seductive, quicksilver and reveling in her power over Siegfried.  She even exercised power over her father, Purple Rothbart (interestingly, the night before, Maria was more under his spell, which was also an wonderful take on Odile's character).  I just loved Julie's take on Odile.  I thought James Whiteside brought a spark to Purple Rothbart, though he fizzled a bit by the end of his solo.  After he does the role a few more times, I'm sure he'll just be all over it.
 
Pain and regret, love and forgiveness - it was all there.  The last scene was just heartbreaking.  Odette is intent on killing herself to free herself, and Siegfried keeps trying to stop her, until suddenly, together, they realize what they need to do.  Their death leaps were spectacular.  I just can't say enough about how powerful their performances were - I've seen Swan Lake a number of times, but this was truly unforgettably beautiful.  I feel so lucky to have been there. 
Seat-neighbor-wise, I will never sit in the last row of the Dress Circle again.  I paid a little extra to sit a little closer, so yay, but that last row is right in front of the standing room row.  The standing room people show little to no restraint on talking during the ballet.  I guess because they're standing.  No amount of shushing was working with two of the ladies.  And one of them was wearing a sleigh bell on her wrist (as opposed to a bracelet), so that was annoying as well.  Thankfully, I was so entranced by Julie and Marcelo (and the whole cast, really), that I barely noticed the annoyances.  But I did notice them a little.  I also noticed the crying babies - one actually started shrieking right before Julie's first solo as Odette and there was chuckling in the audience.  That was unfortunate, but Julie was so amazing, even the baby quieted.  ;)
 
I can't believe my ballet season is almost over.  I only have one more ballet to go - Sylvia -and that's it.  Though, I don't know, if I win the lottery or something, I'm sure I could be coaxed into more more more...
 

No comments:

Post a Comment