Tuesday, December 31, 2019

2019 By the Numbers

Happy New Year's Eve to everyone! I hope you're having fun and staying safe, wherever you are.  This year, I think I want to celebrate instead of worry.  I don't want to think about all of the horrible people who want to enrich themselves and make everyone else suffer.  I want to imagine all of them in prison, with no toothpaste or toilet paper.  And...oh, wait.  I said I didn't want to worry.  And thinking mean things make me worry.  About myself.  I'll start to think happy thoughts (though imagining certain people in prison IS a happy thought) for the coming year.  And yes, maybe I'm still waiting for that date.  Just one.  What could it hurt??  And a nice trip abroad, that would be nice, too.  With a date.  Oops, I shouldn't be greedy.  Anyway.  If you’re still reading, here’s how my 2019 stacked up:


  • Theater visits: 78 (oh dear, that's way down from last year; I need to eat my Wheaties or something)
  • Shows written by women:  35 (not complete parity, I can do better)
  • Shows written by writers of color:  37 (ditto)
  • Shows/concerts/events by my darling Fellows:  16 (this is also down, I need to try harder. or find a sugar daddy.)
  • Ballet visits: 10
  • New e-books:  21 (six are still in my reading queue)
  • New book books:  7 (mostly courtesy of amazing bookstores in work trip locations)
  • Readings/workshops: 6 (yikes, this is WAY down)
  • Concerts/cabarets: 7
  • Tennis events:  0 (oh dear, that's sad; please don't tell my darling Roger Federer)
  • Award presentations:  3
  • Conferences: 2
  • Panel discussions: 7
  • Continuing education classes:  4
  • New museums: 2
  • New castles: 1 (thanks, Edinburgh!)
  • New cathedrals: 1 (thanks, Edinburgh!) 
  • New restaurants:  11 (thank you, work trips!)
  • Movies:  4 (that's skimpy, even for me)
  • Protest marches:  0 (bad feet; I have much guilt)
  • New charities:  17 (hey, at least something went up!)
  • Tweets:  359
  • Trips for work:  4 (woo hoo!)


Here are my 2019 Favorite Theater experiences.  These are in no particular order, with a few of my especial favorites in photos (which are also in no particular order) after...


  • Secret Identity
  • Surely Goodness and Mercy
  • Wolf Play
  • Passage
  • Burn This
  • Promenade
  • A Strange Loop
  • Toni Stone
  • Bar Dykes
  • the way she spoke
  • Power Strip
  • Soft Power
  • Fun Home (in Evanston)
  • The Half Life of Marie Curie
  • Fefu and Her Friends


photo credit: Joan Marcus


photo credit: Craig Schwartz





photo credit: Henry Grossman



photo credit: Julieta Cervantes





photo credit: David Kinder



photo credit: Jeremy Daniel






photo credit: Joan Marcus




photo credit: Joan Marcus






photo credit: Sara Krulwich




photo credit: mikiodo






photo credit: mikiodo




photo credit: Sara Krulwich






















**Special mentions to my return visit to What the Constitution Means to Me, which was just as devastating and wonderful the second time around; 'Bugs Bunny in Concert', because, hello, Bugs Bunny; Street Theater, which I saw twice in production again this year and I loved loved loved it each time, which you already knew; I also saw Dael Orlandersmith's Until the Flood twice in productions outside NY, it was just as amazing every time; the Actors Fund performance of The Tale of the Allergist's Wife, and Charles' 54 Below concert Native New Yorker, because I'm such a Charles Busch fan, and it felt SO GOOD to laugh; Crisis Actor, a fascinating, hard-to-describe play I saw at the Laurie Beechman Theatre; The Rest I Make Up, the documentary about Maria Irene Fornes; and Shaina Taub's and the Lazour brothers' cabarets at Joe's Pub.  Delightful evenings, all.**



And, again, thankfully, I had so much good food and drink, I had to do my Top 2019 Food and Beverage experiences!  Oooo, for the first time, cocktails outnumber the meals - oops!  I guess I really am making up for lost drinking time!  These are randomly-ish ordered, with the beverages at the end.  I'll just share one favorite photo, since it's a  favorite and it's also very festive.  I wish for more yummy food, more strong cocktails, MUCH more theater and fun in the year to come - happy happy 2020, everyone! 






  • entire meal, but especially the Gulab Nut, at Bombay Bread Bar
  • cassoulet at Bobo
  • crab beignets at Burke and Wills
  • lobster agnolotti at a Cena (Portland, OR)
  • creamed farro at Clyde Common (Portland, OR)
  • pork tonkatsu at Danya food truck (Portland, OR)
  • brown sugar sour cream ice cream with rhubarb jam at Ruby Jewel (Portland, OR)
  • lobster roll at Off the Hook
  • watermelon feta salad at Pangea
  • Eton mess at Sheep Heid Inn (Edinburgh, Scotland)
  • jajic at Pomegranate (Edinburgh)
  • pulled pork sandwich at Oink (Edinburgh)
  • the dalliance cocktail at The Stinger
  • tamarind margarita at Bombay Bread Bar
  • rosada sangria at Boqueria
  • ten percent weird cocktail at Burke and Wills
  • long goodbye cocktail at Clyde Common (Portland)
  • margarita noble at Ty Bar (Four Seasons Hotel)
  • champagne punch at Bar Boulud
  • spanish conquest at Blue Dog Cafe
  • dark forest at Off the Hook
  • peach bellini at Cipriani Wall Street
  • Edinburgh mist at Saint Giles Cafe and Bar (Edinburgh)
  • cactus pear margarita at etc.etc.
  • floodfall cocktail at Juniper


No comments:

Post a Comment