Friday, July 19, 2019

What You Should See Right Now - recommendations

I have been very fortunate lately to catch moving and complex work that tells stories which are new to me and necessary to the world we live in now.  I'm grateful to brave producers for presenting them and I hope audiences will seek them out.  But, because I am in complete brain freeze at the moment due to work (excuse me, but summer is for regrouping, not working harder than ever!), I'm only going to offer brief recommendations for shows you should GO SEE RIGHT NOW (seriously, go buy tickets right now):

Bar Dykes - presented by TOSOS at the Flea Theater.  This play, written by Merril Mushroom in the 1980s but getting its NY premiere here, tells the story of a lesbian bar in the 1950s.  Well, the story of a lesbian bar but also so much more.  Everything, really, about a group of women you don't see on stage nearly enough. The theater space is small, so it's as if you're in the bar, hearing the lives of these women play out right in front of you.  The cast is absolutely sublime, their stories are funny/sad/heartbreaking and I loved every minute of this theatrical experience.  How far we have come and how far we have to go in recognizing everyone's humanity is presented in a terrifically directed and acted production.  The show runs until August 3, so I mean it, get your tickets now.  You're not going to see a show like this again soon.

the way she spoke - presented by Audible Theater at the Minetta Lane.  Isaac Gomez has written a powerful piece of theater that explores the trauma of the missing and murdered women in Juarez, Mexico, and also the role of the artist in exposing these traumas.  Kate del Castillo plays all of the roles - a version of herself as an actress called in to read this 'script,' the stand-in for the playwright who reports on how he put the script together, and also other important people in the victims' lives.  There is humor, yes, but also the play is unsparing in its depiction of the tragedy of patriarchy.  Character after character was drawn with empathy and compassion, except for the soldiers, who were depicted with all of their venality and privilege.  the way she spoke has beautiful dialogue telling an ugly story, even while it's trying to consider the way art can heal and help people move forward.  It's moving and unique and special and you should go see it right now.  I was also so lucky to be able to witness the post-show talkback between Isaac and playwright Luis Alfaro.  They were so generous and humble and insightful, talking about their process and their responsibility to their community.  It was an amazing coda to an incredible piece of theater.  I cried the next day when relating the evening to my boss - I was just filled with gratitude that I could be in the room with such people and such stories.  It just crystallized for me THESE are the stories I want; THIS is what I want to talk about and learn about.  

A Strange Loop - presented by Playwrights Horizons.  Yes, I returned for a second visit to Michael R. Jackson's amazing musical.  If anything, it's even more devastating (in the best theatrical way) the more you see it.  The performances have deepened (I am telling you, Larry Owens is giving a performance that will stand the test of time, he is absolute genius in this role) and the storytelling is even more detailed and pure.  The music grabs you and the lyrics stun you.  The book scenes are also gut-wrenching - did I mention the subway scene in my first review?  It's one of the best, most specific scenes of character development with a twist that's currently on stage right now.  I cannot recommend this show highly enough.  It's billed as sold out, but there were a few people there who got onto a standby list and who got into the theater.  They were especially thrilled by the show, but really, everyone was.  It was another great night at the theater and if I could see this show every night, I would.  I'm so excited a cast album is being recorded.

All of these shows are done with skill and grace and insight into parts of the human condition that are not regularly seen on stage.  The audiences were filled with people who were so moved to see themselves and their stories on stage and that moved me.  These are the types of show that move me right now - long may they reign.  And please let there be more brave producers willing to give everyone the chance to be moved.

No comments:

Post a Comment