Saturday, June 8, 2019

My Tony Predictions - 2019

Actually, these will be more like my hopes, because my predictions never turn out well (for example, my nomination predictions were TERRIBLE, though I did get two of the 'long-shot' guesses right, so yay me).  You may remember, however, that I've only seen one Broadway musical this season, which I didn't particularly enjoy, so I'm skipping most of the musical categories.  I did throw in one or two, since I do have some hopes in those categories.  Also, I'm hoping that the broadcast will be fun and inclusive.  I've heard a rumor that all of the awards will be presented on camera, so fingers crossed it actually happens.  You all know how ticked off I get when the actual creators of the content get relegated to commercials.  Moving on...




BEST PLAY

Choir Boy, Tarell Alvin McCraney
The Ferryman, Jez Butterworth
Gary: A Sequel to Titus Andronicus, Taylor Mac
Ink, James Graham
What the Constitution Means to Me, Heidi Schreck

My prediction: The Ferryman
My hope: What the Constitution Means to Me

I will be fine with The Ferryman winning, I enjoyed it a great deal and Jez Butterworth is a marvel at creating real characters saying tons of fascinating dialogue.  I also loved Choir Boy, but I don't think it has a chance here.  But I just want to see Heidi Schreck on that stage - what she has done with her play, What the Constitution Means to Me, is a marvel.  She has taken years of rage and pain and turned them into a a funny, engaging, gut-wrenching history lesson about the mistakes this country has made and how women have borne the brunt of those mistakes over the years.  I just saw Constitution again the other day and it has deepened and grown; I was so moved and enlightened.  Plus, to indulge in my shallow side, I also have an acquaintance who refuses to acknowledge that Constitution is even a play, so I would have so much pleasure to rub his nose in a win for it...




BEST MUSICAL

Ain't Too Proud - The Life and Times of the Temptations
Beetlejuice
Hadestown
The Prom
Tootsie

My prediction: Hadestown
My hope: Hadestown

Even though I haven't seen Hadestown, it was written by a woman and directed by a woman and it's not based on a movie or a jukebox musical (I know, The Prom isn't either, but it has a male creative team; shallow, remember).  Thank you.


BEST REVIVAL OF A PLAY

All My Sons, Arthur Miller
The Boys in the Band, Mart Crowley
Burn This, Lanford Wilson
Torch Song, Harvey Fierstein
The Waverly Gallery, Kenneth Lonergan

My prediction: The Waverly Gallery
My hope: Burn This

Again, I will be perfectly fine with The Waverly Gallery winning, I enjoyed it and encouraging Kenny Lonergan to write more plays is a good thing.  Actually, I'd be ok with any of these winning (except maybe for All My Sons).  I just want to hear dear Lanford Wilson's name said on that stage and I want more people to do his plays.


BEST ACTRESS IN A PLAY

Annette Bening, All My Sons
Laura Donnelly, The Ferryman
Elaine May, The Waverly Gallery
Janet McTeer, Bernhardt/Hamlet
Laurie Metcalf, Hillary and Clinton
Heidi Schreck, What the Constitution Means to Me

My prediction:  Elaine May
My hope: Elaine May

All of these ladies were terrific (well, I didn't love Annette Bening, sue me), but Elaine May was just transcendent.  Her characterization of a woman sliding into dementia was harrowing, yet she retained humor and humanity.  Plus, hello, she's Elaine May.  Elaine May should win everything.


my boss gave me their Tony swag - whee!
BEST ACTOR IN A PLAY

Paddy Considine, The Ferryman
Bryan Cranston, Network
Jeff Daniels, To Kill a Mockingbird
Adam Driver, Burn This
Jeremy Pope, Choir Boy

My prediction: Bryan Cranston
My hope: Adam Driver

I also loved Jeremy Pope SO much, but I'm rooting for Adam Driver.  He's just so singular, I'd love to see that rewarded.








BEST FEATURED ACTRESS IN A PLAY

Fionnula Flanagan, The Ferryman
Celia Keenan-Bolger, To Kill a Mockingbird
Kristine Nielsen, Gary: A Sequel to Titus Andronicus
Julie White, Gary: A Sequel to Titus Andronicus
Ruth Wilson, King Lear

My prediction: Celia Keenan-Bolger
My hope: Fionnula Flanagan

I've loved Celia Keenan-Bolger in many things, so I'd be happy if she won.  I have just loved Fionnula Flanagan for so many years, I'm rooting for her.


BEST FEATURED ACTOR IN A PLAY

Bertie Carvel, Ink
Robin De Jesus, The Boys in the Band
Gideon Glick, To Kill a Mockingbird
Brandon Uranowitz, Burn This
Benjamin Walker, All My Sons

My prediction: Benjamin Walker
My hope: Brandon Uranowitz

Again, no problem with Benjamin Walker winning, his was actually the one performance I appreciated in All My Sons.  I'm just a huge Brandon Uranowitz fan - I've loved him each time I've seen him on stage and it would be a kick to see him win for a play, since he's basically known as a musical theater performer.


BEST DIRECTOR OF A PLAY

Rupert Goold, Ink
Sam Mendes, The Ferryman
Bartlett Sher, To Kill a Mockingbird
Ivo van Hove, Network
George C Wolfe, Gary: A Sequel to Titus Andronicus

My prediction: Bartlett Sher
My hope: George C Wolfe

I love George C Wolfe, end stop.  I always root for him.  And, just to be shallow yet again, please, for the love of all that's holy, don't let the director of Network win again.  I'm not sure I can live in a world where he's a two-time Tony winner.  Ugh.  I almost want to not even say it out loud (or on virtual paper, as it were)...


BEST DIRECTOR OF A MUSICAL

Rachel Chavkin, Hadestown
Scott Ellis, Tootsie
Daniel Fish, Oklahoma
Des McAnuff, Ain't Too Proud to Beg - The Life and Times of the Temptations
Casey Nicholaw, The Prom

My prediction: Rachel Chavkin
My hope: Rachel Chavkin

Please, please, please, let Rachel Chavkin win.  I haven't seen Hadestown, but I have seen a few of the plays she's directed and she's just so imaginative.  I want her to win so so much.


BEST CHOREOGRAPHY

Camille A Brown, Choir Boy
Warren Carlyle, Kiss Me, Kate
Denis Jones, Tootsie
David Neumann, Hadestown
Sergio Trujillo, Ain't Too Proud - The Life and Times of the Temptations

My prediction: Warren Carlyle
My hope: Camille A Brown

Even though Choir Boy wasn't a musical, the choreography Camille A Brown created for the musical interludes was incredible - so musical, and completely personal to each character.  I've never really seen anything like it, and so I want her to win.  


In other categories, I really will be rooting for Dominique Morisseau (Best Book of a Musical), because she's a genius, and for Andre De Shields (Best Featured Actor in a Musical) because he is also a genius.  I've been a fan of his for decades; I once had a long phone conversation with him (equally long story) and he's just a delight.  I desperately want to hear his acceptance speech - he may be my biggest hope, actually, after Heidi Schreck.  He's so beloved in the industry, I think it could be an amazing moment in the broadcast.  Here's wishing good luck to everyone! 

No comments:

Post a Comment