Thursday, January 18, 2018

Preview Thoughts on In The Body of the World

I think it's safe to say that Eve Ensler is a hero of mine.  I find her forthrightness, her tenacity, her bravery, her absolute dedication to saving all women completely thrilling.  I've read, and seen, her The Vagina Monologues many times.  I've read her work and listened to her speeches and have been inspired by her multiple times.  But, for some reason, I've never seen her onstage.  I saw The Vagina Monologues late in the run and I don't know how, but I missed The Good Body.  So when a friend of mine reminded me last week that Eve's new piece was coming to Manhattan Theatre Club, I rushed onto TDF, hoping against hope to get a discount ticket for an early preview, before the word got out.  I was fortunate to get a ticket for last night's preview, only the second preview of this run, and I was fortunate to sit in the fourth row center to experience this force of nature up close and in person.  Although she's done this play already out of town (which is why my friend emailed me last week; he had seen it and proclaimed it "unforgettable"), I won't say a lot because she may be making changes and also because I think you need to experience this one without a lot of prior knowledge.

photo credit: Evgenia Eliseeva
In the Body of the World is a powerful, beautiful piece about one woman and about all women.  About life and death and standing up straight in the face of both.  It's definitely a piece everyone should see RIGHT NOW.  It made me laugh, it certainly made me cry, it made me gasp and it made me think.  It also briefly put me in a dark place - I actually had some version of these thoughts when I was walking to the subway last night:  1)  I'm not sure I'll ever be happy again; 2)  I'm not sure I deserve to be happy; 3) What the hell have I done with my life that could be considered worthwhile?!?!

Admittedly, those sound like depressing thoughts - I hope they won't keep you from seeing a show that may have brought them to me, but believe me when I say I came back around after a bit.  (I'm currently experiencing some back pain, so that may have contributed to dark thoughts, too.)  There are some stories in the show that are devastatingly hard yet necessary to hear and they knocked me out.  But the constant rediscovery of forgiveness and joy is a permeating theme.  And there is so much in the piece that I can relate to from some of my own struggles, so maybe it just felt too intensely personal right afterwards.  I've had doctors like hers, I've had experiences like hers, I've had rage like hers.  Not as extreme, but still.  And I have since remembered that we all have our own parts to play in this world and I play mine as well as I can.  No one else can be Eve Ensler, which is probably for the best.  She is the best one she can be.  I only wish I could express myself one-zillionth as greatly as she does.

It always amazes me that someone who speaks so searingly about such atrocities has such a sweet voice and buoyant demeanor.  I don't know, I feel like I would always be snarling and exhibiting negative body language were I her.  That's a silly stereotype I know, but the beautiful aura that surrounds Ensler is a joy to be around, even when hearing about the darkness that surrounds our world today.  Even when talking about the darkness, I'm also not exaggerating when I say I laughed a lot during In the Body of the World; oh, and I also got to dance, which was much appreciated.  It's just a unique, beautiful, harrowing experience and I highly recommend it.  I'm not going to say any more because I feel as if I'll want to give too much away.  You should just get a ticket, right now, and dive in yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment