Tuesday, June 13, 2017

ABT 2017 - Swan Lake

This year's ballet season has been a bit odd for me - I've had to change my tickets a few times, so I rather feel that I'm not in a rhythm yet, maybe because I've been seated in different locations each time.  Or something.  I've enjoyed each of my performances so far, but they feel sort of remote and haven't been building towards anything.  Or something. Maybe I'm just a little out-of-sorts at the moment, or too busy to really concentrate.  Or something.  Who knows?  The Met is still my happy place, but maybe in these fractious times, there's no true happiness to be had.  Or something.

Last night, I saw Swan Lake, one of my favorite story ballets.  It's just so romantic and gorgeous and old-school.  I've seen quite a few pairings over the years; I've been re-reading my old reviews and I've enjoyed reliving such wonderful experiences.  Here's one especially transcendent experience that I still recall with clarity (click HERE).  I was excited to see Isabella Boylston take on Odile/Odette this time, after enjoying her Juliet and Aurora last season.  I was also excited to see her Siegfried, Alban Lendorf.  I've been reading about him for a couple of seasons, but hadn't had the chance to see him dance yet. 

I had quite a nice time at Swan Lake last night - if it wasn't completely transformative, it did have some lovely moments and I got pretty teary during the first pas de deux between Odette (the white swan) and her prince Siegfried.  I had my binoculars on them for a bit, and I caught such tender moments up close, it was so lovely.  The way he put his hands around her waist, as if he were afraid she would break.  And they looked so deeply into each other's eyes, I was moved.  They have really terrific chemistry.  I do think Isabella could be a little softer and more lyrical in her movements as Odette to contrast more sharply with her Odile (the black swan), but that will come, I think.

photo credit: Ezra Hurwitz
I enjoyed Alban's interpretation of Siegfried - he seemed a little young and callow and more interested in hanging out with his guy friends than with the girls all buzzing around him (of course, when Joseph Gorak is playing your best friend, who wouldn't rather hang with him?!).  He only really started looking at the ladies after his mother told him to, and of course he narrowed it down to a girl who only had eyes for Gorak, too.  I thought it was a very clear throughline for Siegfried and gave him plenty of reason to run away from the festivities and end up in the forest.  His dancing was very light and airy, yet very strong and sure.  His turns were quick, but soft, and his partnering was sublime.  I enjoyed him very much and look forward to seeing him in other roles.

Gorak danced the pas de trois with Sarah Lane and Skylar Brandt and they were just wonderful.  I could seriously watch Gorak dance all night long - he is so sunny and open, and takes in everything and everyone on stage.  His miming is always clear and interesting, and he is so engaged at all times.  A light just shines from him, I think.  I do wonder what is holding him back from dancing the lead roles; maybe there's something lacking that I'm not seeing.  But I know I always feel happy when he's dancing, so...there's that.

Another gent that always makes me happy is Marcelo Gomes.  I was happy to see him dance as Purple Rothbart, the seducer in the Black Swan scene.  He is just so electric, and the way he toys with all of the princesses is fantastic.  He finds humor and menace in all of his movements, and the combination is fantastic.  I also really enjoyed Alexei Agoudine in the Hungarian dance - I don't know why he especially caught my eye, but he did.  Oh, and my ABT MVP, Roman Zhurbin, was again playing Lizard Rothbart and it still amazes me how he can be so clear and compelling in a green lizard costume.  But he is.  The swans were all lovely and in terrific unison, as were the cygnettes and the two swan soloists.  Unfortunately, they announced so many replacement dancers before the curtain went up, I just don't remember who was who. But they were all lovely.

I was a bit disappointed that Isabella didn't do the famous 32 fouettes in the Black Swan pas de deux, but she has been injured, so she probably erred on the side of caution.  Her jetes around the stage that she did instead were fast and high, so that was satisfying.  But I can't help feeling that maybe a little something was missing.  I hope she gets better soon, and I can always hope for those fouettes next year, I guess.  I would definitely enjoy seeing this duo again in Swan Lake because I think there's potential for a really successful partnership here. I look forward to what they dance together next.

I think I have forgotten to mention this season that the smaller chandeliers have been fixed and are beautifully raising to the ceiling before each ballet begins, which has made me exceedingly happy.  I got a little photo before the curtain went up last night, so enjoy. Even though my seat neighbors were a tad annoying, and the front row is never my favorite because of that bar, I was finally able to get a few good shots for once.  I guess I'm just off my game all the way around this year - when I see an old favorite return and dance a goopy romance next week, maybe I'll finally get my act together for the season.  Or something.

No comments:

Post a Comment