Monday, June 13, 2016

Review - Charles Busch at 54 Below

photo credit: Frederic Aranda
I was talking to a friend earlier today and I said, "why should I write a review of Charles Busch's cabaret?! Everyone knows what I'll say!"  But she thought I should post something in case other people were on the fence about going someday, and also as a record for myself, that i can go back and read when I want to be uplifted.  I was convinced!  So, even though everyone knows what I'm going to say, here are some thoughts on last Friday's fun...

I'll admit I don't get to 54 Below very often, in fact, I've only gone once before.  But I was able to secure a discount for last Friday's early show, and I figured I could splurge a little on the dinner/drink minimum because I didn't eat very much last week (more tooth drama; I'm still working through whether I want to share THAT traumatic experience). But it is a lovely spot, if a little pricey - it's cozy (just thisside of being cramped) and not too big or too small, and the way the room is set up, the performer is the star, but is still very close to the audience.  I do have one complaint, though - they turned the air conditioner on about half way through Charles' show and it was FREEZING in there! I'm glad I thought to take a scarf with me, but it was still mighty cold in there...


As I need to be a Charles Busch career completist, I was happy to see last Friday's cabaret show.  I arrived early for my dinner seating and was seated at a very nice center table, towards the back.  I had a terrific view of the stage. Since I'm still on drugs for my dental horror, I didn't get a cocktail but I did get their non-alcoholic lemonade, which was delicious.  After perusing the menu for the softest food item, I finally chose the crab cakes.  They were actually really good (and soft).  I especially liked the guacamole they served with it. 

While I was eating, another of my table mates arrived, a very nice guy named Bob, who turned out to be Charles Busch's travel agent.  Bob even gets a mention during the cabaret! He was a fun dinner companion and I enjoyed speaking with him, though I probably should've picked his brain a little more about my (please god) upcoming trip to Italy.  Very close to curtain, our other table mate arrived, a very nice gal named Katherine, who turned out to be Charles' wig and hair designer!  I mean, how did I get to sit at such a table of celebrities?!  It was very exciting.  Bob, who turned out to be quite the prankster, introduced himself to Katherine and said that he and I were from Ohio and on our tenth wedding anniversary. Uh, ok.  I played along.  Though it was hard to keep the ruse going when I was so excited to hear Bob's shoutout during the show.  


As for the cabaret, as expected, I had a delightful time.  Charles is, of course, a witty raconteur, but he's also a lovely singer.  Not the most powerful voice in the world, but he uses his considerable acting talents to put a song across beautifully. After his rendition of "Bill" from Showboat, Bob turned to me and said "I think that was the best version of that song I've ever heard."  I had to agree.  It was simply heartbreaking and genuine and oh so lovely.  

Charles told funny stories (his brief foray into his online alter-ego Miriam Passman territory was a scream), he sang comedy songs and torch songs and we all generally had a grand time.  His music director and accompanist, Tom Judson, was also wonderful.  They did a delightful medley together called The Summer Medley.  I wish I could retell all of his stories, but since I won't be able to bring the wit and heart to them that Charles would, I won't try.  I will say that his story about a particular Channel 13 pledge break was an absolute riot, as was the Elaine Stritch story that accompanied a medley of songs Stritch herself performed.  I didn't write all of the songs down, darn it, but I do remember my particular favorites:  "Hurry! It's Lovely Up Here" from On a Clear Day You Can See Forever; "Road to Morocco"'; "With So Little to be Sure Of" and "A Parade in Town" from Anyone Can Whistle: "Those Were the Days," and a rueful, frankly surprising "Rainbow Connection."  I wish I could remember all of the others.

Needless to say, I loved every minute of the cabaret.  It could've been twice as long and still not long enough.  It was just such a treat to be so close to Charles' warmth and affection for his material and for his audience, and to hear his terrific stories and songs. He was, in a word, enchanting.  I wasn't as enchanted with all of my seat neighbors (except for my table mates, I loved them) - some of them maybe had a little too much to drink or maybe had seen the act before, but there was an awful lot of talking going on. Bob and I were doing a lot of shushing.  Well, we WERE celebrating our anniversary...


I'm just sorry I waited so long to catch one of Charles' cabarets.  I won't make the same mistake again.  You shouldn't either.  Keep your eyes peeled for when he does another show at 54 Below - you should check it out!  And try the crab cakes!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment