Monday, May 2, 2016

It's Tony nomination time again!

Can you believe the Tony nominations will be announced tomorrow?? It seems like just yesterday we were wondering if Jason Robert Brown could win a Best Score Tony two years in a row!  Wait, was I the only one thinking that?  Darn.  I'm still not over Honeymoon in Vegas getting completely blanked on awards/noms.  Moving on and reminding everyone that my track record for predictions is abysmal...

All of the musicals that opened this season are probably wishing they had waited at least a year to open because, and this is a conservative estimate, I think Hamilton is going to win 56 Tonys.  At the very least.  I haven't even seen the show yet and I'm pretty darned sure it's a lock for Best Musical, Best Score, Best Book, Best Director, Best Choreographer, Best Everything Else That's Not In A Play.  So that makes my little rumination post even sillier than usual since I haven't seen the juggernaut that's going to dominate the Tonys.  I'm hoping the zeitgeist that Lin-Manuel is riding will get the Best Score award back onto the regular broadcast.  And if the people at the Tony broadcast have any heart whatsoever, Lisa Kron and Jeanine Tesori will get to present him with that award.  ON TV.  Please, everyone put that happy thought into the theatrical ether...

My thoughts/hopes for nominations (in the musical categories, just put everyone from Hamilton in there and I'll supplement with people I actually saw):

BEST PLAY

Eclipsed
King Charles III

(I haven't seen The Humans yet, but I'm sure it will be here, since it was a Pulitzer finalist.  The other nom will probably be The Father, since it opened most recently)

BEST MUSICAL

Hamilton
Tuck Everlasting

(I seriously have no idea what will be on the list, other than Hamilton.  I liked Tuck Everlasting and am afraid it might close if it doesn't get a Best Musical nom, so let's hope. My other actual guesses are American Psycho, Bright Star or Waitress, none of which I've seen yet.)

REVIVAL OF A PLAY

Fool for Love
Long Day's Journey Into Night
A View from the Bridge

(I haven't seen Long Day's Journey yet, but I am seeing it Wednesday, and it's Eugene O'Neill, so I vote yes. The only other revival I saw, Old Times, has no chance here.)




REVIVAL OF A MUSICAL

Fiddler on the Roof
She Loves Me

(OK, I haven't seen either one yet, but I adore Sheldon Harnick, who was the lyricist for both, so he needs to get two nominations this year to go along with the richly-deserved Lifetime Achievement Award he'll be getting on Tony night.)

ACTRESS IN A PLAY

Nina Arianda, Fool for Love
Linda Lavin, Our Mother's Brief Affair
Lupita Nyong'o, Eclipsed
Nicola Walker, A View from the Bridge

(I can see Jessica Lange, Laurie Metcalf or Michelle Williams getting on this list.)

ACTOR IN A PLAY

Tim Pigott-Smith, King Charles III
Sam Rockwell, Fool for Love
Mark Strong, A View from the Bridge

(I really really hope Tim Piggott-Smith makes it into this group, he was incredible as King Charles.  I liked Clive Owen in Old Times, but I can't see him making the cut.)

FEATURED ACTRESS IN A PLAY

Pascale Armand, Eclipsed
Akosua Busia, Eclipsed
Zainab Jah, Eclipsed
Judith Light, Therese Raquin
Saycon Sengbloh, Eclipsed

(all of the women in Eclipsed were amazing, so I hope they all make it.  Judith Light is a favorite in the theatrical community, so I can see her making the cut.  I'm sure performers from The Humans will be on one list or another, so...there's that.)

FEATURED ACTOR IN A PLAY

Richard Goulding, King Charles III

(I'm sure someone from The Crucible, or View from the Bridge, or Long Day's Journey, or The Humans will end up here.  I was just really taken with Goulding and his portrayal of Prince Harry, so he's really the only one I'm hoping for.)

As for musical performers, or actually any other nominees, since I haven't seen Hamilton, I don't think I can make any even-mildly educated guesses.  The only ones I'm really hopeful about are Jennifer Simard and Adam Pascal for Disaster and Carolee Carmello, Sarah Charles Lewis and Terrence Mann for Tuck Everlasting.  I'd love to hear my friend Alice Ripley's name, but I've heard her roles in American Psycho aren't that big (and I haven't seen the show yet), so she might get passed by. Poo.  Most of the shows I've seen and enjoyed this season are from Off-Broadway, so maybe I should do a Drama Desk prediction post...nah.  Never mind.  So since I have really nothing else to offer, I'll just end with photos of me and a potential nominee/already announced winner, plus a bonus photo with a prohibitive favorite and a probable winner for 2018... :)








No comments:

Post a Comment