Thursday, March 3, 2016

A Random Post

I was supposed to see a show last night, but it got canceled.  I've rescheduled for next week, but I feel at loose ends today, so I thought I'd do a flashback post from my "today in review history" folder, and then share some random photos I've taken over the last weeks that are rather nice, if I do say so myself.

I'm a little leery of reprinting these reviews from 2008 since they're a tad negative.  But, oh well.  I don't think they're mean.  At least, I hope they're not...


3/3/08:  From the ridiculous to the (not quite) sublime—that was my theater weekend.  A handsome grad school friend is a Tony voter, so he called and asked if I’d like to see Young Frankenstein with him.  I thought, ‘sure, since there’s no way I’m going to PAY to see it!’  So we went Friday night.  We had grand seats, so thanks, grad school chum!

Sigh.  I feel for those performers.  They’re working their A**ES off!  Well, some of them are working a little too hard (I’m looking at you when I shouldn’t, chorus guy), but it’s still a shame to see so much talent…I hate to say ‘wasted,’ but they could at least be using their talent for good instead of evil. 

I know.  Exaggerate much?  ;)

There’s just no reason for this musical version of Young Frankenstein to exist, in my opinion.  This movie didn’t cry out for musicalization.  There’s no point of view here.  No spoofing, no pastiche.  In fact, none of the songs really illuminate anything in the story, except for maybe the “Live, live, he’s alive” choral piece as they try to bring the Creature to life.  That moment works musically, but every other song just lies there.  Except, of course, for “Puttin’ on the Ritz,” which is so far and away a better song than any other song in the show.  “Puttin’ on the Ritz” is really the only good number in the entire show, except for its horrible choreography.  I don’t know if she let herself get too hamstrung by the bad show, but this is really unimaginative stuff from her.  It really does look like they were all in this to make money, and that’s not really a good enough reason to TAKE money from people.  I’m happy I didn’t pay to see this.  Even seeing it for free, I felt as if someone's hand was in my back pocket to steal my wallet...

photo credit: Paul Kolnik
Roger Bart isn’t really right for the role of Frederick—I mean, isn’t he supposed to be the straight man?  Then he has a character arc to play.  Now, Roger is wacky in his first number, so where is he supposed to go?  Didn’t really work for me.  I mean, he’s a talented guy, and I've loved him before, and he’s giving us everything he’s got, but he just isn’t right.  To me.  Sutton Foster is fine, but trying too hard.  Megan Mullaly is fine, but trying too hard.  Andrea Martin?  She’s probably the funniest in the show, because she’s NOT trying too hard!  I thought Shuler Hensley was quite good as the Creature and Christopher Fitzgerald had some good moments as Igor, but again, through a lot of the show, he’s trying WAY too hard to make this stuff funny.  I don't really blame any other actors, though.  I think it all sort of went wrong at the top.

I don’t think I was sitting in there with a bad attitude—I was prepared to be surprised and have a good time in spite of myself.  But I really didn’t, unfortunately.  The songs aren’t good, the book just lays there and the staging and choreography are limp.  But the beginning of “Puttin’ on the Ritz” IS funny, so thank heavens for that.  The sets are certainly complex and there’s lots of lighting!  Whee!  Thumbs down.  Just rent the movie.  In my opinion.

Sunday, I finally took the trek to BAM and saw Patrick Stewart in Macbeth, in my eternal quest to see every production of Macbeth ever produced.  I have to say that I adored him, but was a little less fond of the production as a whole.  I liked the idea of the director’s concept, though I think he took it too far in some scenes to the detriment of the play.  I very much liked what he did with the witches.  HATED what the witches did with the witches.  Hated every minute they were speaking.  I liked the idea of what the director did with the Porter.  HATED the Porter.  HATED HIM.  I also hated Macduff and was most unhappy that he didn’t die at the end.  I actually thought about killing him myself.  

Lady Macbeth was good, though she looked quite alarmingly like someone I know and don’t love, so I was predisposed to not enjoy her.  I worked very hard to get past that.  The idea of having her as a much younger trophy wife really worked, and she had some very good moments, though she sometimes spoke so beeyooooooooooooooooooooooooooootifully that her scenes became quite long.  In fact, a lot of the actors were reveling in their beeyooooooooooooooooooooooootiful speechifying.  The show could be cut by at least a half hour if they were less impressed with themselves.  The scene where Macduff is trying to convince Malcolm to reclaim his throne seemed hours long because they are just luxuriating in the dialogue.  It’s one thing to relish good dialogue, but it’s totally another to kill the momentum of a show by overloving your voice.

I very much enjoyed the character of Ross—he was played as a civilian amongst all these soldiers and I liked his character arc very much.  Plus, he just sort of told me the story and got on with things.  I liked that.  I liked the actor playing Duncan very much, too.  He came back later and was lovely as the Doctor.  Lady Macduff was quite good, as well.

So, I’m glad this is moving to Broadway, I guess, though I don’t think it’s the be-all and end-all of Macbeth productions.  But Patrick Stewart is well worth the price of admission.  He is really wonderful.  He’s playing SO many layers.  Fabulous.  The ‘is this a dagger I see before me’ speech is just fantastic. 

Actually, all of his speeches are grand.  I will admit that I did not like what he did in his penultimate scene with the servants, but then his last scene was AMAZING!  Really breathtaking stuff.  I definitely think he will be in the Tony mix.  So, I guess, a marginal thumbs up from me.  You’ll probably be able to get discounts for the Broadway run and I think what Stewart is doing is worth it.  If you like Macbeth, that is.  I’m recalling a few friends who are not so fond of the Scottish play…

Thursday:  In the Heights!  Can’t wait! 













No comments:

Post a Comment