Thursday, February 18, 2016

Review - I And You

I've been hearing about the play I And You for quite a while - a friend of mine saw a production in Florida a few years ago (he enjoyed it) and the play has won awards across the country.  With such high regard, and because I liked a previous play by this playwright, Lauren Gunderson (and I know her a very tiny bit), I was happy to finally see I And You with a friend last night.  Like the real, actual critics who have already reviewed this play, I will not reveal a big *spoiler* about the work, but will rather dance around it.  Sorry.  Because if you know the *spoiler* before going in, it will make your viewing experience a totally different thing...

Produced in the larger space at 59e59, I And You tells the story of Caroline and Anthony, two teens who are thrown together by circumstance.  The play takes place in Caroline's bedroom, where she's been holed up because she has an inherited liver disease that keeps her homebound - her only contact with other people is via her phone, but she is trying to keep up with her schoolwork.  Anthony drops by one afternoon to get Caroline's help on a school project about Walt Whitman.  The play is basically an extended conversation between Caroline and Anthony, who didn't really know each other before this encounter.  Caroline is prickly and mistrusting, Anthony is ingratiating and eager.  There are many ups and downs and back and forth between the kids, who are essentially polar opposites, but they do come to a meeting of the minds.  Of sorts.

photo credit: Carol Rosegg
There is a lot of Walt Whitman poetry quoted throughout the play, most especially from "Song of Myself" from Leaves of Grass, which I enjoyed a great deal.  The poem's philosophizing about the universe, life and death fits in beautifully with the play's ideas.  Caroline, who has been ill her whole life, has constantly thought about life and death.  Anthony has just started to think about it.  Hearing two bright teenagers debate and challenge themselves about the meanings of life and poetry were two of the chief pleasures of I And You.  I thought the dialogue for these kids was spot on, with lots of snark and posing, yet with a spirit and vulnerability.  I thought everything sounded very true and accurate.  The characterizations were also terrific, well, in the script anyway.  Caroline's bruised spirit is well-drawn, as is Anthony's compassion and ebullience.  I did feel the actors were trying a bit too hard, however, especially in the beginning.  They seemed to be pushing, when pulling back might have been a better choice.  I could be wrong though.  Maybe that's the style the director and playwright wanted to establish before the big *spoiler*.

photo credit: Carol Rosegg
The physical production is fantastic, with the set being a wonderful representation of a teenager's room, especially the room of a teenager who pretty much never leaves it.  Every inch is covered with photos, drawings, clippings, and when we hear Caroline talk about why each piece was chosen, it's quite moving.  The music in the play is well-selected and the lighting effects were subtle yet impressive.  The play is about 90 minutes, and it's maybe ten minutes or so too long, at least in my opinion.  We go back and forth with the kids and the conflict seems pretty established before the big *spoiler*, then there's only two minutes or so before the end of the play.  Maybe a little less time with the 'before' and a little more time with the 'after' would've been more satisfying for me.  But then I guess that makes it my play instead of the playwright's. 

At the end of the play, I was rather taken aback by the *spoiler*.  I will admit that it did fleetingly cross my mind as a possibility earlier in the play, but I forgot about it.  I would never have imagined how effective it could be.  And I've been thinking about the play almost non-stop since I saw it, looking for the clues that are in there, that gave us hints about the *spoiler* but didn't give it away.  I think Gunderson really expertly drew things out and presented us with something at the absolute right moment (even if I think the play could lose about ten minutes in the earlier goings). The whole thing was pretty ballsy, if you ask me.  I think I'd like to go back and get into the structure, find the clues and hints, and really dig in.

The entire audience didn't feel that way.  People were restless and sleeping all around us.  It was a particularly unmannered audience, if you ask me.  The man behind us fell asleep, fell forward, and woke himself up when he hit the floor.  Scared me to death.  The gent next to me was doing some kind of combination snoring/swallowing his dentures.  Two ladies a few rows behind us kept asking each other "do you understand what's going on?"  But there were quite a few gasps when the *spoiler* arrived as well.  So I think people were glad they stuck with it, even with the restlessness during the setup.  I can certainly see why this play would be an attractive option for theaters around the country - there are endless opportunities for discussion, argument and agreement, and two meaty roles for some talented kids.  Unlike this review, which is mainly obscure and non-specific and not necessarily an attractive option for anyone.  Sorry!  I just would hate to ruin anyone's experience by saying too much!  Your mileage may vary, of course...

No comments:

Post a Comment