Friday, May 22, 2015

Flashing back to...last week and beyond!

Last weekend was the AIDS Walk.  I took last year off, but I got back to work this year.  It was a sunny and warm day and I had a good time walking with a dear handsome friend.  I made pretty good time up until the end - we made it to the last turn into Central Park when I noticed my hands were starting to swell and I was getting rather overheated.  So we turned off the route and didn't quite make it to the finish line and went to brunch instead.  I needed some a/c and ice water to get the swelling down.  I really think I need to make a goal for myself to get in better shape before next year's walk.  In the past, I prided myself on being able to walk straight through, no stops, to the very end.  Now I usually need a little break or two throughout, especially towards the end.  And I'm a bit of a broken-down mess the day after.  But it's a worthy cause and I will keep walking until my legs fall off.  GMHC and NYC have made it a goal to eradicate AIDS by 2020 - I pray that goal is met.

I'm grateful to all my friends who gave their hard-earned money to support me - this year, I raised over $1800!  Since 2002, when I first became a "Star Walker," I've raised over $33,700!  I'm very proud of that!  And appreciative of the generous people who helped make it happen.  I was a little bit sad this year when I realized two of my biggest supporters passed away since I last walked.  They were two of my biggest cheerleaders and I thought of them often as I walked last Sunday. 

I decided, in the interest of flashing back, to post pictures from past AIDS Walks.  It's pretty clear when my good-physical-conditioning left me, it's when I stopped wearing shorts in public.  :)   If you're interested in sponsoring me next year, let me know!  I'll be happy to send the info your way in 2016!

2002

2003

2004

2005

2006

2008

2009

2010

2011

2012

2013

And these are some photos from this year's Walk.  Over 30,000 people came together to raise over $4.8 million to stop this disease!  It's a beautiful thing.







the post-Walk French Toast was divine...

No comments:

Post a Comment