Thursday, February 12, 2015

Thoughts on The World of Extreme Happiness


Even though I'm pretty much running on fumes at the moment (and I'm seeing another show tonight - yikes!), I took a friend of a friend up on their free ticket offer to see a new play at Manhattan Theater Club, The World of Extreme Happiness, by Frances Ya-Chu Cowhig.  I read an early play of Frances' a few years ago and really enjoyed it, so I was happy to check this one out.

The World of Extreme Happiness is in early previews, so I'll only offer a few thoughts.  It has been done at several theaters previously, but I'm sure they're doing work on the piece here before it opens.  I definitely found this a strong work, with more theatrical highs than lows, and it is a story that I've never seen before.  It took me by surprise, it depressed me and it made me think.  Those are always good things.

The very beginning of the play made me burst into tears at the all-too-real depiction of China's one-child policy and their disdain for female babies.  Many of the problems of modern-day China were referenced in the play, and I did think that maybe there were one too many ideas/plot threads happening.  I was most taken with the story of our protagonist, Sunny, and her desire to lead a more fulfilling life.  But I do understand why some of the side stories had to get their turn, since they did converge at the end, sort of, but...still.  Maybe a little trimming here and there?  I don't know.


photo credit: Matthew Murphy
The acting is mostly first-rate, especially Jennifer Lim (who I adored in Chinglish) as Sunny, and Francis Jue (who I adore in anything he does) as several characters, including Mr. Destiny, a self-help guru who tries to help Sunny fulfill her destiny.  Even though the scene was played as quite comic, I found it profoundly moving at the same time.  A lot of the play was very moving to me, due to the subjugation of women in China and the lack of empathy throughout. There was one performer who I didn't think was quite up the level of the others, but perhaps she just needs more performances to get into a groove.  I also did get a little frustrated at all the doubling of roles - once or twice I thought it would be nice to see a different actor play a particular role, though I suppose the way the play is doubled could be intentional, I just didn't get the point behind it.

Much of the language was quite salty, and, as I've apparently turned into my great-grandmother, I did wince once or twice, but I got over it.  Cowhig has a lovely way with naturalistic dialogue, and also with some flights of fancy to punctuate the surreal conditions that exist in the divide between the 'peasants' and the 'city people' of China.  There's a terrific handout in the Playbill that I found very compelling reading on the subway ride home (no pot smokers this time, thank heavens).  For some reason, I've always found stories about China and Chinese history totally fascinating.  I have no idea why.  So I was engaged throughout The World of Extreme Happiness as well, even with my quibbles, and I recommend people see it.  I look forward to seeing another of Cowhig's plays - I think she has a lot to say about a world and a people I don't know, and a unique way of saying it.

No comments:

Post a Comment