Thursday, March 14, 2013

Review - Old Hats

I've always been a big fan of Bill Irwin and I became a big fan of David Shiner when I saw him with Cirque du Soleil many years ago.  Then, I saw Bill Irwin and David Shiner's Fool Moon several times when it was on Broadway - I even took my mom!  I can't believe it's been 20 years!  Anyway, as soon as I saw the news that these two genius performers were putting together a new piece for Signature, I knew I had to go.
I just find their kind of humor inspired and riotous.  Plus, it's warm and inviting, even with the crabbypants persona of Shiner.  When I got to the theater, I felt like I was settling in with two old friends for an evening of affectionate laughs and wonderful whimsy.  And I was right!  Plus, there was tap!  :)

Several of their old routines were repeated and there were also several terrific new ones.  "The Businessman" is a brilliant spoof of the importance (and self-importance) of the iPhone/iPad generation, plus the whole piece is a technological marvel.  You have the purely physical genius of Irwin combined with the technological genius of the projections by Wendall Harrington.  It is a match made in heaven, with surprises at every turn.

I found myself giggling uncontrollably (I think my seat neighbor was a little appalled) at "The Magic Act," and I found "The Hobo" almost unbearably poignant.  The range that Shiner shows in these two vignettes, is remarkable, all without saying a word.  Though, in a brilliant move, the piece "New Hats" utilized sound into the clowning part of the evening.  It was hysterical, watching Irwin and Shiner try to one-up each other, first with a little crooning of the title song from Oklahoma, then with a solioquy from Hamlet, and THEN they went a little mad with their newfound vocal power and traded famous lines from famous movies.  It was dizzying and wonderful and such a grand addition to their repertoire.

Surrounding all that inspired clowning was the equally inspired, and completely wackadoo (in a good way), song stylings of Nellie McKay.  Her off-kilter musical interludes were sweet, yet with some killer lyrics.  She can really keep an audience member on her toes.  I thought she was goofy and enchanting - the perfect fit for this show.  Her four-man band was also terrific, each displaying their own bits of personality throughout.

Clearly I had a FANTASTIC time at Old Hats and I think everyone should get themselves over to Signature and check it out.  Irwin and Shiner have previously talked about the physical limitations of their sorts of clowning as they age, so I'm guessing we won't get this kind of show from them forever.  And once they're done, who is going to take up their mantle?  Anyone?  Exactly.  GO.  You may even get to catch a frisbee, like I did...
 

 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment