Monday, October 29, 2012

Review - The Mystery of Edwin Drood

Ever since Roundabout announced they were doing The Mystery of Edwin Drood, and that it would star Chita Rivera, my co-godparent (TW) and I have been so excited about seeing the show together.  He saw the original production and I almost saw it (I still growl with rage when I think about my sister's friends who refused to see it with me), but I've enjoyed the cast album tremendously over the years.  When TDF had a few tickets for yesterday's matinee, we snapped them up!  We had no idea what kind of hijinks would occur!  :)

We booked the tickets before the Hurricane Sandy nonsense, but thank heavens it was a matinee that started at 2pm.  When we found out the subways would close at 7pm, we cancelled our post-show dinner, though I did walk with TW as he hurried to Penn Station to get back to Jersey - I made a pit stop at my office to get some work to take care of from home.  (as I write this, the winds are really blowing.  I hope my a/c doesn't fall out or the repeatedly-wonky roof doesn't fall in)

When we settled into our mezzanine seats at Studio 54, we noticed that the mezz wasn't full at all.  I'm guessing a lot of people decided not to even come in for the matinee.  The ushers were moving some people downstairs, but we didn't get moved.  But our seats were good.  Then...the director, Scott Ellis came out.  I said to TW, this can't be good.  Ellis came out and thanked us all for braving the elements, then dropped the bad news:  Chita was unwell and wouldn't be performing.  We all groaned.  Ellis said he understood our disappointment and Chita was more disappointed to not perform, but he hoped we would all stay to support the understudy.  And even if we stayed, we could use our tickets to come back.  I hope he cleared that with the box office before giving that option!  But after he said that, it looked like most people stayed and settled in.

So, this was still an early preview, and I don't think it's nice to be overly critical, but I'll give a few impressions.  I think people are still working through some things, but on the whole, this show is ever-so-ready for primetime.  What a fun production!  Everyone seems to be having a great time and that includes the audience.  The score is terrifically well-sung and the staging is vigorous and grand.  I didn't love some of the choreography, but that's ok.  Chita's understudy, Alison Cimmet (at least, that's the name in the Playbill), was quite good and the rest of the cast was so supportive of her.  I'm guessing it's the first time she's gone on.  I loved the whole cast, but especially enjoyed Jessie Mueller and Andy Karl as the Landless siblings.  They were just full of fun.

I guess I've used the word 'fun' at lot, but that's exactly what the show is.  The whole music hall set-up is maintained throughout all of Studio 54, and the entire staff is filled with good cheer and a generous spirit.  They've put together a beautiful physical production to surround the fantastic cast, so I think Roundabout has a winner here.  I'm looking forward to going back!

No comments:

Post a Comment