Thursday, July 12, 2012

A heart full of love: Semi-reviews and more...

My heart has been overflowing with love the past week or so, which is a happy way to be spending this too-hot summer.  I've seen shows either starring or written by much-loved friends, I've spent some quality time with my spectacular nephew (and the rest of the family), and I witnessed a sporting event that made me weep for joy - much like the victor and non-victor.  Happy happy joy joy...

I have a hard enough time being critical of theater, but when it features a dear friend, all objectivity goes out the window.  It's useless for me to even try to write a coherent review.  So, I won't.  Last week, I went to a theater in Ohio and saw a dear friend from undergrad days star as Man in Chair in The Drowsy Chaperone.  In my seriously biased opinion, he was FANTASTIC.  Funny, moving, charming, quirky.  Really, really wonderful.  He's just a star.  The show was also very well done.  Kudos to everyone involved.  The sold-out house seemed to enjoy it, so maybe I wasn't the only prejudiced audience member.  :)   I laughed loudly and often - I may have even made my friend laugh at one point.  I'm too embarrassed to remember clearly...
I saw another dear one play Ko-Ko in The Mikado.  Some serious brilliance was going on there, plus I love the pure joy with which my chum performs.  It just radiates from him, which is rare.  Another star.  Show-wise, I will admit to not really liking the framing device set up at the beginning (but abandoned at the end), but the production was very well-sung and nicely paced.  Clearly, my friend was the highlight of the afternoon.  As he always is.  Always.  To add to the enjoyment of the day (which was staggeringly hot, yuck), we went to an Amish restaurant nearby and had some yummy fried food.  And pie.  A perfect afternoon spent with my best friends - my beautiful sister and my handsome friend.  Hooray!!
 
My nephew and I had a grand time together.  I love him so much - he even took a break from playing his violent video games so that he and I could play less violent games together!  My very lame attempts at winning Mario Kart made him crack up.  My even more lame attempts to beat him at video tennis made him crack up even harder.  Which makes my heart swell even more.  My nephew has the best laugh in the world.  I'm a very lucky aunt.  Oh, I'm also lucky that the family dog is so fond of me, too.  I always have a buddy ready to sit on my lap when I go to visit. ;) 

In other family trip news - we had a very fun nearly-whole-family picnic (we're a big family!), with lots of tasty food and a rousing game of charades (my team won, hello).  Monday, our day at the amusement park didn't go as planned - my sister got quite unwell, so we cut the day a little short, but at least my nephew got to ride a few of his favorites, I rode a couple with him, and it was a lovely sunny day with the family.  I'm a fortunate person in general, I think, but especially with regards to my family.  When we get together, we always have such a good time.  Sure, there are little squabbles and flare-ups here and there, but there's also a ton of laughter, hugs and kisses.  And many hearings of I love you.  Just what a single gal needs every now and then.

After a week of fun with my family, I flew back to New York, dropped my suitcase off at my apartment, then went to Second Stage to see DogfightDogfight is a world-premiere musical, written by boys I know and love, so again, it's hard for me to offer cogent criticism.  Plus, it's early in the preview process, so I'll only say a few things, since I'm sure they're making changes all the time.

I didn't see the movie, starring River Phoenix and Lili Taylor.  I don't know why I never saw it, but...there it is.  I knew the story, though, so that wasn't a surprise to me.  I have to admit, as (again) a single woman of a certain age, I found certain aspects of the plot desperately uncomfortable.  As I should've, yes, but it also made me dislike the characters I maybe should've been rooting for.  But I freely admit that's my bias.  The lead guy even looked a little like my ex-brother-in-law, who I'm less than fond of, so that hurt my chances to empathize with him.  It was an uphill battle for me, I will admit.  But the songs are terrific, both tuneful and smart, with really good lyrics, especially the duets between the lead couple.  The book is also smart and well-paced.  I do wish it were only one act, though.  I think the intermission ruins the momentum - it would play much better in one fell swoop.  In my opinion, of course.  The cast is first-rate and Second Stage has given the show a wonderful physical production.  I think I'll try to go back after it opens and see if I can approach the show with a less biased eye.  Regardless, I definitely think Dogfight is worth your time and you should go.  I'm very proud of the boys and I'm sure this is the start of big things for them.                                                                     
Finally, a sporting event for the ages.  Well, for my ages, I guess.  My Roger, the man I've followed and cheered for more than a decade, won Wimbledon for the seventh time.  And became #1 in the world again.  What a triumph!  It was so wonderful to show all the nay-sayers that Roger isn't done yet. He always knew it and I always knew it.  Now, everyone should know it.  It was a beautiful victory over a valiant opponent.  I cried with both of them during the trophy ceremony.  The victory over Djokovic in the semi-finals was one of the most satisfying victories I've witnessed by Roger, and the semi-final match between Murray and Tsonga was great fun.  All in all, it was a wonderful two weeks at Wimbledon and I'm sad it's over.  I love watching grass court tennis on HD.  Oh, and I'd like to thank the tennis gods for granting my wish for a final with two different players.  My favorite won, but I certainly would've cheered loudly if Murray had won instead.  I don't want to jinx anything for the rest of the year, so I probably won't put any other requests out to the tennis gods this season.  Probably.  The Olympics ARE just around the corner, and there will be lots of love and tears during that time, too.  Just to keep a full heart full... 


No comments:

Post a Comment