Saturday, March 17, 2012

Favorite of the favorites

Having mentioned recently that Death of a Salesman is one of my top five favorite plays, I started to think, wait, what ARE my actual Top 5?  Really, what would they be?  There are SO many choices, it's hard to narrow it down.  I've seen a lot of plays over my lifetime.  But I came up with six, right off the bat.  Just say no to five!  [lol]  Anyway, these are the plays I could see anytime, anywhere.  And, in fact, I have.  High schools, libraries, community theaters.  We're even talking versions with marionettes.  :)  Then I started to think about a list of contemporary plays, since my Top 6 consists of, well, not-exactly-contemporary plays.

btw, none of these are in any particular order...

My Top Six Plays

The Glass Menagerie
Macbeth
Death of a Salesman
A Delicate Balance
The Crucible
Miss Julie

My Top Six Contemporary Plays

Side Man
Proof
Doubt
Six Degrees of Separation
Fences
Prelude to a Kiss

Then, of course, because I'm me, I had to think of a list of musicals.  Since every list I came up with had mostly Sondheim, I decided to do a Sondheim list and a non-Sondheim list.  That seemed only fair... ;)

Top Six Non-Sondheim Musicals

South Pacific
Once On This Island
La Cage aux Folles
Chicago
Fiddler on the Roof
Gypsy (ok, this is cheating.  Sondheim is involved.  sue me.  it's my list.)

AND

Top Six By Sondheim

Sweeney Todd
Sunday in the Park with George
Assassins
Pacific Overtures
Passion
Follies

Want my reasons?  Ask.  But, you know, if I wrote this post tomorrow, the lists would probably be completely different.  There are so many plays/musicals swirling through my head, telling me to put them on the list.  Where is Horton Foote?  Lanford Wilson?    Wendy Wasserstein?  Tom Stoppard?  Charles Busch?  Eugene O'Neill?  Bill Finn?  Comden & Green?  Berlin?  Gershwin?  But...not today.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment