Thursday, September 22, 2011

Race for the Cure

So...after all the mishegas this year, my gal pals and I decided quite a while ago that we'd be doing the Race for the Cure this year.  And then my sister decided she wanted to fly in.  And a wonderful guy pal decided to join us.  So what started as a low-key, low-ball fundraising effort turned into an amazingly fabulous day where we raised four times more than our goal!  How great is that?!?!


I was so happy that this Race was in the fall, and after my exchange surgery.  I had a really difficult time at the AIDS Walk last May with the humidity and the TEs, so I didn't finish.  I was very disappointed, because it was the first time in maybe fourteen years that I didn't finish the walk.  For this race, the weather was beautiful, with little to no humidity, and I had no stupid TEs to bother me.  Of course, this is a 5K instead of a 10K, but it was still much more manageable, not just because it was shorter in length.


One of my gal pals got a gig outside of town, so she couldn't join us and we missed her terribly.  But two other dear ones decided to join in and we all had a fantastic time.  It all seemed jollier and less crazy than the AIDS Walk for some reason.  The lines weren't as long, even though there seemed to be thousands of people walking, and there was more water along the route, which I appreciated.


My sister and I checked in, to pick up our bibs and t-shirts.  When I signed up, I said that I was a survivor, but didn't want to be designated as such.  My sister thought that was dumb.  Even though I honestly feel like I didn't go through as much agony as most women endure, my sister was right that I was fortunate not to have to deal with all that stuff, but that didn't make my journey any less difficult.  She was right, as always.  So I picked up my survivor's t-shirt, cap and bib.


After posting a lot of photos on Facebook, my sister reminded me that I was probably 'outing' myself.  Oops.  I hadn't thought of that.  Out of my maybe 300 Facebook friends, around 20 know about what I've gone through this past year.  I worried that I would start getting a ton of messages from people, but I don't think anyone even noticed from my photos.  Which is absolutely fine with me.  I've never wanted my life to become just about DCIS and fake boobs.  Which is sometimes what happens--it becomes all anyone wants to talk about or hear about.  I'd rather it be my choice when and where to chat it up.


My guy pal decided to run the Race, since he's been running regularly since the summer, so he got started first.  Then, after hearing from all the 'special guests,' we walkers got underway!  My sister got to high-five Senator Schumer when we started the race!  That was funny--he's not even her senator!  But then I got a nice smile and wink from Maurice Dubois.  It was a cute warm moment.  He is a little on the adorable side.


Again, the race didn't feel as crowded or chaotic as the AIDS Walk, which was very pleasant.  We used a nice leisurely pace, looked at the scenery, laughed a lot, enjoyed each other's company, and talked about all the pink stuff we should get for next year.  :)


My feet were pretty tired by the end (I haven't been working out like I should, and I didn't stretch my feet with my resistance bands, even though I should have), but the 5K went by pretty quickly.  Afterwards, I was disappointed that we couldn't find the post-race snacks, but that was ok.  We looked at the swag, picked up some free socks and tote bags, and had a great photo taken of our group.  All in all, it was a fantastic day.  I felt like it was a celebration of getting through all the crap, and sharing that celebration with the people I love best.  It made for a terrific Sunday.  I already can't wait to do it again next year.  I think my sister will bring my nephew, and my goddaughters may walk too.  Plus, there are other goals for next year:  I saw that the team that raised the most money raised over $400,000!  I wonder if we can raise 100 times more next year!  Ha!  Also next year--more pink!  :)





No comments:

Post a Comment