Friday, May 29, 2015

Thoughts on Guards at the Taj

I'm sure I've mentioned before that I enjoy playwright Rajiv Joseph's work.  I was an enormous fan of his Pulitzer-finalist play Bengal Tiger at the Baghdad Zoo (see my review HERE) and I also enjoyed his play The North Pool at the Vineyard a couple of years ago (see that review HERE).  I do know Rajiv a bit and enjoy him as a person as well, so I may be predisposed to like his plays, but I think it's really that I enjoy the way he tells a story.  No one writes the way he does.  When a discounted preview ticket for his newest play Guards at the Taj, playing at the Atlantic Theater, came my way, I couldn't say no.  I bought the ticket way before I went to Dublin, thinking I probably wouldn't have any disposable income when I returned (oh how right I was), and last night was the night.  But it was a very early preview, and I saw Rajiv there last night, so they're clearly still working.  I'll just offer a few thoughts...

OH.MY.GOD.  You must GO see this show!  Those are my few thoughts.  I was completely blown away.  Gobsmacked, even.  Like Bengal Tiger, this play takes on enormous themes, yet boils them down to an essential personal level.  Things such as loyalty and honor, friendship and duty, beauty and despair.  All wrapped up in a very funny, very scary, very sad, very disturbing 80 minutes.

The acting is fantastic, the set and direction are fantastic, and the writing is one-of-a-kind.  The language is elevated and poetic, yet modern and realistic.  I really can't describe it.  Both actors reached for the heights of the play and truly excelled.  I laughed a lot and held my breath a lot.  But I really don't want to say much more, not only because the show is still in previews, but also because it is so unexpected, I don't want to spoil anyone's experience.  There are so many moments and pictures in my mind and I haven't stopped thinking about the play since last night.  I truly cannot wait to go back - which actually will be interesting; will the play be as effective without the element of the unexpected?  I'm sure it will, I'll be able to really concentrate on the gorgeous dialogue and the truly amazing performances by Omar Metwally and Arian Moayed, both of whom are so perfect, it's kind of scary.

In the interest of full disclosure, the gals seated on my left LOATHED the play.  Not merely disliked it.  LOATHED.  They practically knocked me over to get out of the theater and then I heard them talking on the subway platform.  Their loss.  I do think Guards at the Taj will be rather polarizing, but I'm telling you, get a ticket right now.  You will not see a play like this again.  You do not want to miss it.  I promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment