Friday, January 15, 2016

Preview Thoughts on Skeleton Crew

 Last night, I went to see a preview of a new play by an acclaimed young playwright, Dominique Morisseau.  I've heard about Dominique for years but this was the first play of hers I've seen.  I had seen a scene from this play, Skeleton Crew, at an awards ceremony last year and I was eager to see the rest of the work.  Dominique is from Detroit and often writes about the people of Detroit - I lived in Detroit in the late 80s, so I have an interest and affection there, too.  Skeleton Crew, now playing at the Atlantic Theater on their second stage, brings those things together...

Since the show doesn't open until next week, I'll only mention a few things.  The first thing is:  GO SEE THIS PLAY.  It isn't often that I get to see a play about blue-collar workers, about people I know and grew up with, so I'll always stand up for one.  Also, this play has such beautifully detailed writing and characterizations and acting.  It's truly so well done.

Skeleton Crew takes place in a breakroom of a small auto manufacturing plant.  We meet three longtime co-workers and see how they love and respect each other.  The ups and downs of these lives, with respect to their jobs and their outside world, are wonderfully detailed.  The disintegration of the auto industry, the precarious nature of current life in Detroit and the issues of personal fulfillment are all portrayed.  Each character is detailed and true, speaking with glorious language that is still grounded in truth and reality.  They each have problems, both at work and at home, but they puzzle through the problems and support each other in a loving way.

photo credit: Ahron R. Foster
The characters include the older woman of the group, who has wit, salty wisdom and secrets; the young pregnant woman who is unsure of her life outside of the plant but sure of her worth inside it; the hot-headed young man who has a plan for his future and won't let anyone get in his way; and the supervisor who managed to get off the line, but knows to whom he owes his good fortune.  There's a fifth character, but I don't want to give it away.  The surprise was one of my favorite parts of the show.

The play is serious, funny, moving, tragic and authentic, all at once.  I knew these people, even while they were completely original, and I got so caught up in the situations that Dominique thought up for them.  I was particularly taken with the pregnant character (and the actress too - I misplaced my program so I don't have names in front of me, sorry) - her speeches and impulses were so interesting to me.  But, really, all the characters were interesting to me and I was on the edge of my seat wondering what would happen next.  I think the show is very well directed and designed, the small space didn't feel small at all.  I liked the sound design and music choices very much as well.

Seat neighbor-wise, I was sitting next to a man who was probably too old for me trying to pick up his date, who was probably young enough to be his granddaughter.  It was a little disconcerting.  He kept trying to impress her by talking about his former career in radio. I'm guessing being on the radio isn't on the top of a young gal's potential mate list nowadays.  Moving on.  I was also sitting in front of stereotypical annoying NY theatergoers, who talked in their outdoor voices about all the shows they've seen (getting most facts wrong) and they seemed to be in the minority of people who didn't enjoy the galactically big hit Hamilton and were very smug in their insistence that everyone around them know it.  But the rest of the audience was wonderfully engaged in the exciting show in front of us and committed to enjoying the show - most everyone jumped to their feet at the end.  I'm so glad I saw Skeleton Crew and I'm looking forward to experiencing more of Dominique Morisseau's unique vision.  You should go check out this production, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment